confidence

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Your comment about its loss being so powerful is particularly well observed and shows how much of life is won and lost in the mind. I've always been particularly fascinated by those golfers (not a sport I follow) who completely lose form in the blink of an eye. It must feed on itself in a very corrosive way.

Jonathan Trott's struggles and ultimate return from his mental abyss is a fascinating recent example of this.

I am quite shy and at times not confident in myself, but for my job you need to have a lot of it and at times arrogance to get through the workload and stress, so I don't know how but I can be full of it at work and in company of friends, but put me in a room with new people or at a job interview or the like and it just disappears

urban genie said:
I am quite shy and at times not confident in myself, but for my job you need to have a lot of it and at times arrogance to get through the workload and stress, so I don't know how but I can be full of it at work and in company of friends, but put me in a room with new people or at a job interview or the like and it just disappears

I'm really interested how other people deal with this. So in a room of new ppl how do you deal with it? Do you just try and fade into the background or wait until someone speaks to you? Or would you force yourself to strike up a conversation with someone and just try and overcome your shyness?

BlueBearBoots said:
urban genie said:

I'm really interested how other people deal with this. So in a room of new ppl how do you deal with it? Do you just try and fade into the background or wait until someone speaks to you? Or would you force yourself to strike up a conversation with someone and just try and overcome your shyness?

Ive always been pretty shy and quiet, but in my job I am full of confidence, Ive never been able to figure that out

BlueBearBoots said:
urban genie said:

Normally pretty quiet can shuffle about a room not really getting involved until invited into a conversation, If i am with at least another mate can ease into a conversation, once I have started to talk for a bit the confidence will be there and can chat away all night, thing is when people first meet me some tend to think I am distant and unfriendly because I don't say much. For work as I meet different and new people every day it's odd I have no problem talking to them or dealing with them probably because it's familiar

I have a big fucking problem with this

Where does the line of being confident end and being arrogant begin??

I'm not much of a confident person but i'd really like to be

If i went into my place of work strutting round like some peacock full of the world, that confidence or arrogance?

Super David Silva 21 said:

If i went into my place of work strutting round like some peacock full of the world, that confidence or arrogance?

I think that would be arrogance? You can be quietly confident or assured. GDM is both confident and assured but not arrogant not when I've met him anyway

Maybe people who lack confidence try to cover it up with arrogance?

BlueBearBoots said:
Super David Silva 21 said:

I think that would be arrogance? You can be quietly confident or assured. GDM is both confident and assured but not arrogant not when I've met him anyway

Maybe people who lack confidence try to cover it up with arrogance?

That's just it, some days i go in and think to hell with it i'm gonna be more chest out and confident, it could then be mistaken for arrogance so it's back to quiet and talking to nobody.

BlueBearBoots said:
urban genie said:

I try and avoid situations where I am almost forced to speak to people. Parties etc. am sure some think I am stuck up or aloof but in reality am just very shy. Even at 51 I struggle in social situations. Luckily my wife will speakt anybody and can make friends stood in a queue

Most jobs I've had have required confidence but I wonder whether I am faking it because like others on here, certain social situations make me want to shrivel up and be invisible. Drink helps a lot and twice I was a compere for Xmas and New year hotel parties on Thailand. I had to introduce acts and get the guests to come on stage to play stupid games. Sober I couldn't have done it but the constant backstage swigging of Singha sure made it easier ( and fun)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.