Congestion Charge - Informal exit poll

i'm applying for a road digger upperer job if the no vote is carried-
If i don't get the job i'll do it anyway

No from me and 5 others in the family..

What i don't agree with mainly is the fact the form states you are voting no or yes to "Public transport funding".. Which technically we are not, so for those to lazy to read any off the booklet - they are going to vote yes. Just one of many schemes pulled by the council, which shouldn't be allowed. If you ask me.

johnmc said:
maxflicity said:
If they dont drive a car they shouldn't get a vote in my view........

ridiculous comment

Not really. Why should someone who doesn't drive have the right to vote that car drivers have to may up to £1200 a year in 'tax'? And don't say "It's not a vote on the charge, it's a vote on the transport improvements" because that's bollocks, it's a congestion charge vote, pure and simple, the 'improvements' whatever they will be are just being used to railroad the charge through.

maxflicity said:
kronkonite said:
organised our whole street for a yes 34 of em

If they dont drive a car they shouldn't get a vote in my view........

Ridiculous!

That's the whole point, it's to look at an integrated transport policy providing quality public transport for ALL and to reduce car use... I live in Yorkshire these days so don't get a vote, but I reckon I'd vote YES on the basis that as far as I can tell, 80% is due to be completed/started before any charges come in...?

Those who look down on public transport should ask yourselves why... And I reckon it's because its Expensive, unreliable, grimy and generally considered a bit scummy and reserved for School Kids, OAPs and Chavs. If you've ever been anywhere like Amsterdam or a hundred other examples in Europe and the States, then you'll know that everyone either cycles (OK its extra flat on The Dam but Manchester's not Huddersfield!) or uses trams, which are cheap, regular, simple, clean and used by everyone! It costs me £8 to get the train from Hudds to Mcr, that's £16 for me and the missus on a Saturday! Absolutely ridiculous so guess what, we take the car usually... But we should be encouraged to use the train more often but without investment they have to charge what they charge... A vicious circle that we need to get out of!

Look at the places like schools etc that have had actual consultations which seem to have won over the majority who've got involved (Please don't give me "brain-washing" because people have to be trusted to listen to the arguments and make their own choice, just because you disagree, doesn't mean they're wrong!)... Looking at the issues and facts of THE BIG PICTURE. Manchester is a World City that deserves to have the best Public Transport system that it can... There is going to be investment coming from The Emirates in to City and they would also want the city to have the infrastructure there for them... This will bring further investment... etc. etc. etc... A bit more of a positive cycle there..?

But that's just my opinion so don't slag me off eh? I know that it's difficult to trust the Government but, look at London, I know it's on a different scale but the issues and benefits are the same...

Car use costs are only going to increase and increase so we should be getting the infrastructure right, NOW!

People WILL and should vote for what's best for them and their families, which is only right, but think about the future, it WILL change, so why not be pro-active and make it the best it can be...?

PS Hughes OUT!

Now you know I'm joking about the last bit, right...? ;-)

as someone who lives out side of the zones (not in a big house btw but because its cheaper than living in Manchester) but works in the the zone
i wish we to could vote on this as its going to effect us too.

IM a big NO not that it will count

Matty said:
Not really. Why should someone who doesn't drive have the right to vote that car drivers have to may up to £1200 a year in 'tax'? And don't say "It's not a vote on the charge, it's a vote on the transport improvements" because that's bollocks, it's a congestion charge vote, pure and simple, the 'improvements' whatever they will be are just being used to railroad the charge through.

They should have had a vote on the Smoking ban and just asked smokers to vote

johnmc said:
Matty said:

They should have had a vote on the Smoking ban and just asked smokers to vote

3 pages, that's a new record. It normally takes much less time than that for someone to bring up the ridiculous comparison between the congestion charge and the smoking ban.

kronkonite said:
organised our whole street for a yes 34 of em

pathetic and a total waste of time as there is no chance of this getting voted in

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.