Cook - They Bottled It

BobbyLazarus said:
At the present moment in time, only the most deluded of fans would think that the best players in the world (and quite a few of the average ones too) would come to us for anything other than a sackfull of money.

The concept that we can currently deal with AC Milan on an equal footing is complete la la land.

The only thing we can compete on is buckets and buckets of cash.

If (and I do say IF) anyone involved in this whole thing truly believed this was about 'selling the vision' then I'm just stunned. 'The Vision' if there is one, is that we are going to spend our way into a competetive position. At least, I hope that's the vision. The way to express that vision is to slap your money on the table.

If we have some different vision, involving using our wily business, brand and footballing nous to lift us out of mediocrity whilst operating within sensible monetary boundaries, then that is fine. It just means were the same as every other team outside the Euro money cartel. Don't expect it to work though.

Did I write this? Agree 100%

Chippy_boy said:
BobbyLazarus said:
At the present moment in time, only the most deluded of fans would think that the best players in the world (and quite a few of the average ones too) would come to us for anything other than a sackfull of money.

The concept that we can currently deal with AC Milan on an equal footing is complete la la land.

The only thing we can compete on is buckets and buckets of cash.

If (and I do say IF) anyone involved in this whole thing truly believed this was about 'selling the vision' then I'm just stunned. 'The Vision' if there is one, is that we are going to spend our way into a competetive position. At least, I hope that's the vision. The way to express that vision is to slap your money on the table.

If we have some different vision, involving using our wily business, brand and footballing nous to lift us out of mediocrity whilst operating within sensible monetary boundaries, then that is fine. It just means were the same as every other team outside the Euro money cartel. Don't expect it to work though.

Did I write this? Agree 100%

cmon boys, we didnt offer them any money, we wanted to talk about the vision and kaka's role at the club, but they wanted to talk about the cash. doesnt that tell you something? if you go to a job interview, sit their looking bored until the conversation turns to salary and you perk up, are you going to get the job?

if you go to a job interview, sit their looking bored until the conversation turns to salary and you perk up, are you going to get the job

If I am known within my particular industry as being the best at what I do - if I get head hunted, then the FIRST thing we talk about is money. If the approach doesn't come with a headline figure, you tell them to go away. Headline figure I find attractive - then I'll meet you.

BobbyLazarus said:
if you go to a job interview, sit their looking bored until the conversation turns to salary and you perk up, are you going to get the job

If I am known within my particular industry as being the best at what I do - if I get head hunted, then the FIRST thing we talk about is money. If the approach doesn't come with a headline figure, you tell them to go away. Headline figure I find attractive - then I'll meet you.

thank you for your time, we'll let you know

Pam said:
Sorry, just exactly why were we talking to Kaka's father about the environment?

Pam, I'm sorry but you are coming across as a bit thick & allowing prejudice to blind your judgement - you obviously don't like Cook!

I hope you aren't interpreting the environment as being the ozone & the fucking weather?

The environment Cook is talking about is Kaka's environment FFS - his deeply religious environment. That's why he was talking about humanitarian issues - he was selling a package. Kaka is on record as saying it isn't about the money. This was the background to the discussions i.e. the environment.

So the environment was set - Cook was selling our vision & plan within this environment & Kaka's representatives wanted to talk money. Money is the least of City's problems - it didn't matter - we have enough of it to pay whatever WE THINK is correct.

What is clear is that Kaka is a bullshitter - money is more important to him than his religion & his humanity.

City were fed BS from the start & walked away as we weren't dealing with honourable people - I applaud them for it & so should you.

All this, "They only wanted to talk money," stuff has a ring to me of PR spin for the benefit of City fans, designed to make us think that he's a mercenary and we're better off without him. I don't believe for a second that our delegation, who are all reasonably high-flying professional people, for one minute believe that Kaka will join us purely because of his interest in the so called "Project".

BobbyLazarus said:

look, the point is, i might make you a vague no promises offer before i meet you. but if i meet you and all you want to talk about is the money, then i think something is wrong. this is your career, your waking life. you don't want to know about who you are working with, what their goals are, what role you will play, what you can get out of it? bullshit. you are either only in it for the money (in which case i question your potential commitment), or you are just interested in getting an offer out of me so you can show it to your current employers.

warpig said:
Matty said:
Pam said:
WTF is that supposed to mean? Of course they wanted to know what the pay would be. What is Cook talking about?
The talks with AC Milan wouldn't involve Kaka's wages/clauses etc. That would be discussed with his agent/dad/him.

the talks on monday were with kakas dad to discuss personal details. a fee of £97m had already been agreed between the clubs

source please!

foreverblue said:
warpig said:
Matty said:
Pam said:
WTF is that supposed to mean? Of course they wanted to know what the pay would be. What is Cook talking about?
The talks with AC Milan wouldn't involve Kaka's wages/clauses etc. That would be discussed with his agent/dad/him.

the talks on monday were with kakas dad to discuss personal details. a fee of £97m had already been agreed between the clubs

source please!

The only source is what the media have been spouting, SSN were saying this morning about a fee being agreed and signed last week but we know how realiable they are for getting the story right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.