Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotland data:

53 deaths - was 89 last week

1149 Cases - was 1201 last week

At 4.9 % positive - first sub 5% positivity in a month Nicola Sturgeon notes.

(It was 5.6% last week)

Patients 1812 (down 53 in day) - was 1938 last week

Ventilator icu 127 (down 4 in day) - was 142 last week

Everything going in right direction

Last edited:
Scotland vaccination update:

694, 347 first doses given - new record of 45, 085 yesterday - was 38, 484 day before

Nicola Sturgeon adds that the slower progress up to now was because they (she thinks rightly) focused on the harder job (implying unlike England) of saving lives of the most vulnerable in care homes as top priority.

She again emphasised her data is the actual numbers vaccinated not offers of vaccination. Even though I will not press that you can see I am not alone in caring about clarity here.

She says that 98% of all over 80s in care have HAD a vaccination. 89% of all care home staff have too. And 90% of all over 80 - residents living in the community.

Also 38% of all aged 75 - 80 in Scotland have had one too.

She says you will see daily vaccinations rapidly go up now that they have protected the vast majority of those deemed most vulnerable and who they focused on even though doing that took longer than reaching just the most easy to reach first to build up numbers.

Guess in due course we will see who was right if it turns out that did save lives in the over 80s and care home community in Scotland.

But from my experience of this kind of care I believe she took the right option here either way.

Last edited:
Scotland data:

53 deaths - was 89 last week

1149 Cases - was 1636 last week

At 4.9 % positive - first sub 5% positivity in a month Nicola Sturgeon notes.

(It was 5.6% last week)

Patients 1812 (down 53 in day) - was 1938 last week

Ventilator icu 127 (down 4 in day) - was 142 last week

Everything going in right direction

Sorry HP, cases were 1201 last week. 1636 was the week before. Still a drop either way!

Sorry HP, cases were 1201 last week. 1636 was the week before. Still a drop either way!
Thank you.

Correct - my eyesight on tiny hastily scrawled numbers over dozens of days in my notes is in need of a vaccination these days!

Have edited but the positivity was correct and taken from the right column in my lists!

Last edited:
Nicola Sturgeon has guaranteed a public enquiry into the pandemic for Scotland.

It came after being asked by a journalist if the second vaccination delay would be investigated by Hollywood!

He did correct himself quickly to Holyrood.

Correct - my eyesight on tiny hastily scrawled numbers over dozens of days in my notes is in need of a vaccination these days!

Have edited but the positivity was correct and taken from the right column in my lists!

Yeah - back under that 5% mark is great news. Need to keep going and driving it down further of course but it's on the right track.

Nicola answering another question says she 'suspects' England is only talking about offers not actual vaccination numbers because they are well below the numbers in England they have achieved in Scotland by focusing on the most vulnerable.

The media are going for her for admitting this but I see why she did it as we can see the apparent number of add on deaths outside England hospitals every day - 500 / 600 mid week every day in past two weeks.

It seems quite probable many of these are over 80s in care homes in England.

It is an arguable debate whether you choose to vaccinate the most over 80s as fast as you can by not maximising the numbers in care homes where vaccination is harder and would reduce numbers you can do daily.

But the over 80s in the community CAN self isolate as they wait if they choose. Care home residents are trapped with the virus in places where it has been a key source of infection from day one - eg the first US outbreak in February last year in Seattle. My first direct contact with this issue as my friend has a son who was an ER doctor treating those patients and he told her and me before anyone here was even taking this seriously the disaster that would unfold in 'rest homes' with this disease. Everything he said then has happened.

These seem to be two different strategies and we do not know yet which overall will save or cost the most lives

But at least she is being open as to what she did and why. I respect that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.