Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that’s 1300 in ICU, isn’t it just 1300 in hospital that have tested positive for covid? Might not even be in because of covid if I understand it right.
I teaf there’s about 1,250 hospitals (including private sector) across the U.K. it would probably be better if the hospital cases were more concentrated so that the vast majority of services could be gearing up to reestablishing the full range of healthcare services. A few months ago health service leaders were forecasting August for a return of comprehensive healthcare so hopefully lots of progress is being made.

The road map is working and if we stay vigilant then we can all look forward to getting back to closer to normality soon. Last night I got in another game of 5 a side and downed a couple of pints of Guinness afterwards. Life’s what you make it.

US backing removal of IP on Covid vaccines. shares in the medical companies making them plummit.

if this goes ahead its an amazing move by the USA.

Cannot see it making a big difference, producing vaccine isn't like baking a cake. You don't just go on the Internet for a recipe. Stages in production will be closely guarded IP and any plant producing will have to have all its processes and product trialed, tested and then go through approval process.

I don’t think that’s 1300 in ICU, isn’t it just 1300 in hospital that have tested positive for covid? Might not even be in because of covid if I understand it right.
No, there are nowhere near 1300 people in icus in the UK. These are literally patients in hospital who have tested positive for Covid. And there are only around 1250 as of yesterday in total.

Of the 1032 in England just 161 of them are on icu equipped ventilator beds.

Some of them quite likely are really in hospital because of other conditions that may or may not have been exacerbated by Covid. Or so their oxygen levels can be monitored.

Most admissions also only stay a day or two. Hence why I post the admissions per day from England as this gives a maximum number to the increase - though in practice more will be going home than coming in right now. But that can change day to day and anyone who has been in hospital for anything will know they tend to release those they can pre weekend and see some come in on Mondays who have waited the weekend to go to A & E. Hence midweek tends to be the best guide to the 'normal' picture.

The Scottish data gives very detailed numbers on hospital patients.

As of yesterday there were 69 people in total in every hospital in Scotland with Covid.

That is out of 5.5 MILLION people living there. That is just 12 out of every million.

Of these 13 are in ICUs in beds that HAVE ventilation options but are not necessarily on a ventilator. Just ready in case needed. There is spare capacity now at such low levels.

8 of those 69 patients have been in icu for more than 28 days.

There are 22 in total in icu from all the nations bar England and 161 in England. Though there will be a few more in ICUs without ventilated beds under observation.

So at most two or three hundred are in icu with Covid in the UK right now.

You can see why so few people are dying of Covid now. The vast majority who do will be in icu. And only a modest percentage of those there will do - especially now we are not swamped with as we were in January thousands on ventilators with the NHS inevitably struggling to cope.

So if the maximum number potentially likely to die is about 200 in next week or so the true numbers are going to be as low as we are seeing. Which right now barely tops 100 in a week. From all settings - not just in hospital.

Last edited:
With the masks thing, I'm amazed how many kids wear them. When I pick my boy up from school as I see loads wearing them.
It's more the gullible 'freedom fighter' adults who don't. Idiots walking into supermarkets without them....oh so very fucking brave.

Pure speculation, but my guess would be that the US has no intention of this ever happening - and for the reasons outlined by @Blue Llama it may be of limited benefit anyway.

But it gives them leverage against the pharma companies to enable supply chain and pricing for much wider access than current plans are: "License your tech to India yourselves and negotiate reasonable pricing or we'll void your patents". Note that AZ has already done this.

Specifically on Pfizer and Moderna, the need for frozen supply chains for those vaccines makes them problematic for the developing world anyway.

Cannot see it making a big difference, producing vaccine isn't like baking a cake. You don't just go on the Internet for a recipe. Stages in production will be closely guarded IP and any plant producing will have to have all its processes and product trialed, tested and then go through approval process.

there are plants in India that can churn this stuff out by the metric ton, main reason the dont sell them in India its self is cost. the pfizer one cost about $30 a shot which is about 2 weeks wages for most people in India.

if it means they can churn this out for a tiny fraction of the cost then its a bonus for them. shipping is another matter mind you.

Main concern comes from the fact that would these companies do a rapid vaccine for the next pandemic now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.