Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking long day today. Feel like waiting for a bus and don’t know when it’s coming. Step mums best mate died of it last night. Her Life long friend of 60 years. Not seen my kids since the 28th either and my dad about twice in 7 months. Trying to keep spirits up but a tough one today!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

If we did absolutely nothing to prevent or cure covid I.e. No restrictions and no vaccines what would it look like in the middle to long term? Obviously we would have a huge number of deaths in the short term but in say 3/5/10 years, would covid still be killing people or would the virus itself have died out by then?

Turn away people with no masks and who don’t sanitise their hands from supermarkets. No mask, no entry; won’t sanitise your hands at the door, see ya! If you can’t wear a mask for medical reasons you cannot go in and must only get your food delivered to home.

Turned away from the supermarket if you’re not on your own and the person with you isn’t a carer or a parent with their kid(s). Groups of teenagers should be told to fuck right off, as should couples who seem to think the supermarket is a nice place to go for a stroll together while it’s lockdown.

Fines should be handed out to parents of teenagers who are congregating outdoors or in supermarkets (teenagers in supermarkets seems to be a bit of a ‘thing’ now, hanging around the car park for hours or even going inside in groups).

Close non-essential shops. I mean, they’re supposed to be closed anyway but Costa and Starbucks seem to be given a special status of essential businesses during this lockdown, what the fuck’s that about? Queues out the door when I’ve walked past after work this week. How is coffee from massive chains essential when local small business coffee shops are closed?

No meeting anyone from another household for exercise outdoors. Even go as far as a period of 10-14 days where nobody is allowed to leave home to exercise. Too many people are coming into close contact with other people. Similar to isolating, it’ll help bring numbers down somewhat.

Parents who can’t be arsed with their kids at home while they’re working from home should be told to fuck off by schools when they’re trying to dump their kids on the school pretending they’re a key worker.

January Vocational exams should have been cancelled outright from Monday. I’ve had kids in exam rooms this week during a new faster spreading strain of a pandemic when we’re supposed to be in lockdown (although we have now given them an option not to attend if they can’t or don’t want).

Bosses should be letting employees work from home if they can, not making them come into work and see if they can get away with it.

Cancel all intercontinental sports. No internationals, no Champions League. People shouldn’t be crossing borders at the moment. And none of this fucking travelling to Dubai like our women’s team have.
Agree with all of that, as long as the Prem is allowed to continue to keep me sane!

Reading the thread, seems some of it is being put down to infected ex-pats flying in from the likes of London, etc, for Christmas and then going on the lash and mixing in multiple households. However, this may also have been a factor. Shows it’s not only the UK government that is making stupid decisions:

Really? Government in Ireland opened up the boozers? That might have something to do with the surge then!

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

If we did absolutely nothing to prevent or cure covid I.e. No restrictions and no vaccines what would it look like in the middle to long term? Obviously we would have a huge number of deaths in the short term but in say 3/5/10 years, would covid still be killing people or would the virus itself have died out by then?
We just don’t know. High rate of deaths of course. It probably wouldn’t disappear we would be hoping it would mutate into a more infectious (therefore becomes the dominant strain) but less severe form and become more like seasonal flu. As many people would have been exposed to it previously some immunity would remain in the population so it wouldn’t be quite so rampant.

what I will say is we would find better ways of treating it. So much progress has been made in a short time already. Sometimes it takes a disaster for medicine to make a giant leap. MRNA vaccines could be one of them. We will get through this

A Derby County side decimated by COVID19 positive tests is knocked out of the FA Cup by a Chorley side who celebrate in a way which suggests they too will be decimated by COVID19 positive tests in the not too near future but hey ho the vaccine is on its way...........let’s hope I’m wrong.......

That entire dressing room plus anyone who has close contact with them such as family should be made to self isolate for 10 days. Absolute state. In fact all footballers should be made more aware of their actions. Why the fuck were we in one big huddle after smashing the rags. Arsenal players all piling on top of each other earlier. It’s a joke.

They are all tested before and after the game so it’s absolutely fine.

do you honestly think players should be kept 2 metres apart in a dressing room after all testing negative ?!

FWIW my view now is that everything has to be thrown at vaccinating at the maximum possible speed as nothing else is working. Test & Trace, mass testing as in Liverpool, lock downs are merely marginal mitigating steps that really only delay the outcome.

This is the case all round Europe. I have a work colleague in the Czech Republic who has always taken Covid very seriously even though he is in his mid 30s. They had a successful first wave with a brutal lockdown but currently if you compared daily cases like for like with the UK population then they have the equivalent of 130,000 new cases a day. He has not seen a single customer or travelled anywhere since March. There are protests daily as there is little support for businesses and many are destitute.

Testing is achieving very little so vaccinations have to be the absolute main priority.

Having worked in the Testing "industry" for a few months now I actually feel that testing makes things worse.

Hypothetical question time.

Say we had unlimited hospital capacity, do you think we’d still have restrictions in place to save lives or would they just let it run through?...

They’d have restrictions right?

right?...

The reality is the whole hullabaloo has been down purely to the NHS not having the capacity to deal with anything other than the shit it already deals with.

Covid has shown the mismanagement of the NHS up for what it is big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.