Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new variant of the coronavirus with a "constellation" of mutations has been identified in Botswana.

Designated as B.1.1.529, scientists are still unclear whether existing antibodies would react well to the variant - which has 32 spike protein mutations.

Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London, branded the mutations "really awful".

The language used by a number of scientists on social media - even those you'd usually associate with a more positive outlook - suggest that this is the first major concern since Delta.

Thread here, and note the number of *could* and *might* in the thread, a few weeks will tell us more, but the tone here and elsewhere doesn't provide a vibe of any confidence.

The mood is clear. I guess I'm going to have to put my doubts aside and get the booster.

A new variant we will probably stop from coming here after it has colonised half the UK and then argue it was impossible to stop it or we would have done so.

We should at least be taking immediate action to quarantine and test all arriving from the known infected areas until we know enough to be sure of the risk. Hopefully we are. We were lucky with Delta.

Last edited:
The mood is clear. I guess I'm going to have to put my doubts aside and get the booster.
Get it done, mate. I've been down with the Delta all week, with my good lady testing negative every day since. She's had the ol' 3 for a Pfizer, the last jab being a couple of months ago. Impossible to argue against it, in my book.

A new variant we will probably stop from coming here after it has colonised half the UK and then argue it was impossible to stop it or we would have done so.

We should at least be taking immediate action to quarantine and test all arriving from the known infected areas until we know enough to be sure of the risk. Hopefully we are. We were lucky with Delta.

This is what I don't understand. Any sniff of a new variant then they should immediately ban all travel from any countries affected until more is known. Surely we must have learnt our lesson by now that dithering isn't an option.

Get it done, mate. I've been down with the Delta all week, with my good lady testing negative every day since. She's had the ol' 3 for a Pfizer, the last jab being a couple of months ago. Impossible to argue against it, in my book.
Yeah I was buggered by the stuff a month back, had a little relapse or two since. Definitely felt there was a case for leaving my body alone, having felt poorly for weeks on end, but I'm getting less silly symptoms by the day.

Having said that, the idea of spending time in hospital is definitely a no-no. Not a fecking chance. Especially as the boys and girls who are that ill often have long lasting problems much, much worse than headaches and rashes etc. No way I want to risk that.

This is what I don't understand. Any sniff of a new variant then they should immediately ban all travel from any countries affected until more is known. Surely we must have learnt our lesson by now that dithering isn't an option.
I doubt we can do that with every variant but we already know enough to see this is the biggest potential threat in months and could set us back years. Not taking precautions for a week or two until we know more is reckless and could cost billions more so not economic sense let alone public health sense.

We do so much testing we will pick this up quickly if it gets here and that will help but when the warning signs are clear you do not mess about waiting to be sure as if you guess wrong it will be too damaging. We are only talking a week or two before we know more. But a minor problem can turn into an unstoppable one if we wait and trust it turns out fine. As hopefully it will.

Such a variant getting here heading into Christmas will be far worse than minor inconveniece with extra testing for a week or two.

They wont do anything until its too late. We all know they are incompetant and have stumbled through covid with reactionary rather then proactive policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.