Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Der Spiegel hatchet job on City. Shithouses won’t fess up who their source is. Oxford/AZ should take it to CAS
The Commission is apparently livid that AZ will now only deliver a small fraction of what it had been contracted to supply. Ridiculous talk of EU prohibiting stocks from exiting to other countries, including the U.K. Media fabrication, and now this unsubstantiated story. I’d wager AZ‘s stock price will take a knock in the morning and that will be it.

It surely wouldn't make sense to approve it at all if efficacy is only 8%? The Sanofi/GSK vaccine has had to start the whole trial process again as it was shown to be effective for younger age groups but far less for older groups. You can't imagine that one was only 8% either.

As I said, I'm only speculating. Unless there is new data submitted (in which case the MHRA would be all over it like a rash) showing this, it seems vanishingly unlikely 8% is really what the data shows, from everything published to date.

So, it appears that this is a politically motivated story, presumably something to do with the supply issues - timing can't be a coincidence. I don't at all understand why it would be to German advantage to do that, but presumably that's what's going on given that Handelsblatt is a respectable publication and they're quoting govt sources.

The 8% then, must have come from somewhere. The only way I could see to get to 8% is to calculate a confidence interval from the sparse data there is, and the low end of that confidence interval could well be 8% (might be for instance 8-96% or something. But it wouldn't be a meaningful figure.

Now, it would be a perfectly respectable position to take not to approve for over 65s until more data is available, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what EMA does. Regulatory agencies take different views on where the risk/benefit lies. The FDA have asked for more data before approving, for instance. But to leak it to the press in such a way is deeply unethical, and those responsible should be ashamed.

My parents have got the call for vaccination this Thursday, and I'd be happy for them to get any of the vaccines. The data is very strong on all of them from everything I've seen.

My friend who is on the vulnerable shielding list and 89 had the Oxford jab at the Etihad on Friday.

So it definitely is not being done on vulnerability or age here.

I am in two minds whether to tell her this news about the AZ vaccine. She was so relieved to get it after such a long wait.

I find it very hard to believe this government would risk lives in this way if there is truth in that story.

If I recall was not the keep you from getting it rate always low with AZ and whilst 8% seems improbably low its main asset was that nobody who took it got ill enough to need hospitalisation.

If that is true of over 65s then really it is a non story as that is the real big deal here and enough to make it better than Pfizer even if that one stops 10 times more from getting it but lets the rest who do have the same risk of dying.

Two sides to this story I think.

Not going to say anything to her until I know more or they blab on TV about it and scare her tonight.
No need to say anything to your friend till any news is verified. If true, news like this would not be emerging from un-named sources and with no data to back up the claims.

My friend who is on the vulnerable shielding list and 89 had the Oxford jab at the Etihad on Friday.

So it definitely is not being done on vulnerability or age here.

I am in two minds whether to tell her this news about the AZ vaccine. She was so relieved to get it after such a long wait.

I find it very hard to believe this government would risk lives in this way if there is truth in that story.

If I recall was not the keep you from getting it rate always low with AZ and whilst 8% seems improbably low its main asset was that nobody who took it got ill enough to need hospitalisation.

If that is true of over 65s then really it is a non story as that is the real big deal here and enough to make it better than Pfizer even if that one stops 10 times more from getting it but lets the rest who do have the same risk of dying.

Two sides to this story I think.

Not going to say anything to her until I know more or they blab on TV about it and scare her tonight.
Fucking Twitter, do me a favour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.