Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on whether you mean 1st or 2nd dose, that means July or Sept, I think. Is that where you're at?
It looks like the first dose gives about 80% of the immunity doesn't it - so July as an end of all restrictions feels perfectly sensible to me. Keep the current plan on track, if everything is looking rosy then keep the June 21st date as opening mass events, but if as a worst case scenario this gets pushed back to July, I'm okay with that.

But what I'm not okay with is punishing everybody because of a small minority who don't want to be vaccinated. If people choose not to have a jab (apart from if they're medically advised not to of course), they can sod off and let the rest of us get back to normal IMO. I'm at the point now where I'm more worried about the mental health crisis than I am about covid.

Burnham is bang on with this.
He is right about speeding up vaccination and going down to 16 - agreed - but the election being held during restrictions allowed too many to miss the Bolton incident earlier than they should have done. Not his fault it was I know.

And notice they cite the weekly Pop score of Bolton as 152 - which is days old. When as of last night it had climbed to 193. Politicians and media missed it for crucial days again at the start - just as happened in Bolton and Wigan in July when GM ended up in long time trouble - because of focusing on the 'final data that takes 4 or 5 days to come out. The non final data made what was happening in Bolton obvious and should have flagged it up earlier.

We all should know by now that, as the saying goes, a week is a long time in politics - but it is an aeon in a pandemic.

Wales data

Further proof that if you vaccinate your people you all but end the pandemic in your nation,

Wales has the biggest number vaccinated in the British Isles and its numbers keep tumbling.

0 deaths - was 0 last week

22 cases - was 54 last week - lowest in UK since Summer last year.

0.4% positivity - was 1.0% last week

As was posted above Bolton needs to speed up vaccinations ASAP and reach the reluctant that seems to be a key reason they are not doing as well as other places.

It looks like the first dose gives about 80% of the immunity doesn't it - so July as an end of all restrictions feels perfectly sensible to me. Keep the current plan on track, if everything is looking rosy then keep the June 21st date as opening mass events, but if as a worst case scenario this gets pushed back to July, I'm okay with that.

But what I'm not okay with is punishing everybody because of a small minority who don't want to be vaccinated. If people choose not to have a jab (apart from if they're medically advised not to of course), they can sod off and let the rest of us get back to normal IMO. I'm at the point now where I'm more worried about the mental health crisis than I am about covid.

I agree with that; steady as she goes but be prepared to respond if we do see a significant wave building.

I would be a bit less harsh though; there's plenty of disinformation out there and blaming people for not choosing to be vaccinated doesn't help IMO.

We should be inventive to help people make the right choices; the yanks are apparently offering free taxis and a free beer to people getting vaccinated, and I read one country (Belgium??) was going around bars offering vaccinations! We should be leaving no stone unturned; even if they are idiots and deserve their fate, we don't want our hospitals and morgues overflowing with undeserving idiots.

I agree with that; steady as she goes but be prepared to respond if we do see a significant wave building.

I would be a bit less harsh though; there's plenty of disinformation out there and blaming people for not choosing to be vaccinated doesn't help IMO.

We should be inventive to help people make the right choices; the yanks are apparently offering free taxis and a free beer to people getting vaccinated, and I read one country (Belgium??) was going around bars offering vaccinations! We should be leaving no stone unturned; even if they are idiots and deserve their fate, we don't want our hospitals and morgues overflowing with undeserving idiots.
New Orleans has been doing a shot for shot thing. Bars are setting up as vaccination centres and if you have a shot, you get a free shot.

Yeah you're probably right, am just at the end of my tether now, and I couldn't cope mentally with another lockdown. My mental health has been fucked over the last year. Added to the fact my job was at risk as well all last summer (I work in the events sector) and we've been told we're at the end of it all...

Bit highlighted:

My local health area in GM in February had a volunteer service to get the over 60s to their jab - a rota of drivers who drove them there and back for free. Must be happening elsewhere too.

As Andy Burnham says we need to speed up delivery and persuade the reluctant in places like Bolton.

And I am starting to rethink my views on people who decline to be vaccinated being allowed the same freedoms post lockdown as those who have had it.

I do not think we can do that now that we know what variants can do. Say no by all means but if it limits what you can do until everyone is safe then that is your choice to make too.

Do not make it compulsory It should be a choice. But there probably do need to be limitations on what you can do if you choose no.

Last edited:
Wales data

Further proof that if you vaccinate your people you all but end the pandemic in your nation,

Wales has the biggest number vaccinated in the British Isles and its numbers keep tumbling.

0 deaths - was 0 last week

22 cases - was 54 last week - lowest in UK since Summer last year.

0.4% positivity - was 1.0% last week

As was posted above Bolton needs to speed up vaccinations ASAP and reach the reluctant that seems to be a key reason they are not doing as well as other places.

I think i (slightly) disagree with your conclusion - Wales has no more 2nd vaccinations (%) and only ~10% more first doses (77 vs 67) than other countries, is this enough to cause the disparity in positivity that you say?

could it be that they have a much lower testing rate per million? or perhaps the dwindling pool of unvaccinated people there is far smaller than England's, as a %age, and therefore the virus has smaller contiguous areas of unvaccinated people? im unsure.

if you're right, should we see precisely the same downward trajectory in England as has been experienced in Wales? or are there too many confounding variables at play? (such as variants, demographics etc). Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.