Coronavirus (2022) thread

Todays Zoe data is also the best in some time.

Daily predicted cases down the most in weeks - nearly 10,000 to go sub 200K on 193,751

And ongoing cases total 3.042,083 - the first week to week fall since the first few days of September when this wave took off after the August Bank Holiday.

Certainly looks like the booster is doing its job.

Todays Zoe data is also the best in some time.

Daily predicted cases down the most in weeks - nearly 10,000 to go sub 200K on 193,751

And ongoing cases total 3.042,083 - the first week to week fall since the first few days of September when this wave took off after the August Bank Holiday.

Certainly looks like the booster is doing its job.
I'm coming over in February with a yankie friend who hasn't had the jab.
An impossible question for anyone to answer here but wondering if the numbers go back up if the need for a Vax could come back too.....

I will be surprised if serious restrictions come back bar a very worrying variant that does seem to evade the vaccines or treatments.

That can happen and is totally unpredictable but Christmas is the most likely time to drive a wave so January peak and falling by February mght be a good guess. Though that is all that it is.

Anyone going unjabbed is risking this impacting travel somewhere in the world possibly indefinitely.

But I doubt that airlines and hotels are going to get restrictive in a hurry.

I've just been looking at the original(?) CV thread from Jan 2020 on and it's sobering how much we just didn't know then and how scary it all seemed. Just seems like another day now, two and half years down the line.

That flashback to early 2020 above is odd to see now. But illuminating.

Pandemics like this are thankfully rare. Probably once a century. Though that was pre global travel and my bet is they are now going to be once a generation instead unless we find ways to test inobtrusively at all travel ports and isolate rapidly.

Any new one out of the blue is going to be scary. We were too slow to react up front in some ways but once we got to the point it was apparent the PM might die any minute things improved. And the vaccine reaction was and is a triumph of science.

There are things we got right and things we got wrong. The trick is to learn from them and implement plans now for the next one and rehearse and rehearse.

That BBC wargaming of a pandemic in a TV show just before the real one was chilling in some ways as it showed that we knew what to expect from a fairly known diseaase. As in a type of flu they chose. NOt what we got, of course.Covid had the potenial to kill a large fraction of the planet's population but science and medicine responded superbly.

Problem is as we see now it near left political and financial chaos in its wake,probably emboldened dictators to start wars on the assumption the west would be in no shape to react. And far from making the public more aware of the risk and taking permanent measures to stem the next one before it gets catastrophic we are mainly so tired of how it has interrupted lives that we are likely little prepared to mitigate the next one if it comes sooner rather than later as people will remember the past and not want to recreate that hardship in the future.

The older you are the more you will be cautious, of course, as all disease disproportionately targets the over 60s but society has to find a balance between caution and normality.

The biggest thing we can and should do is set up a global investigation to plan strategies to research, observe and be ready to react as a planet to the next one. Not face 100 different responses depending on location and politics. And put money into a global fund to allow vaccination of the poor, monitoring of areas where something might evolve and a global surveillance programme more robust than now in countries where that is most likely.

This is something that is indiscriminate of friends or enemies or shades of government. It is about planetary defence.

We need to act as a planet to be ready for Pandemic 2 - The Sequel. As sequels in Hollywood are usually worse than the original.

I'm coming over in February with a yankie friend who hasn't had the jab.
An impossible question for anyone to answer here but wondering if the numbers go back up if the need for a Vax could come back too.....
I wouldn’t let him in.
The US won’t allow unvaccinated travellers in.

No idea what I've got or if it's a series of things, posted on here on the 14th that I had a headache that wouldn't shift, that's faded mostly but I've had sore throat runny nose and still a headache since then, this morning it's on my chest too. Usually a pretty healthy guy, vitamin every day, high fruit and veg intake etc. Have been drinking a bit too much coffee and letting the water slip, but hardly a crime.

Took another covid test this morning and negative, came back to it an hour later and very very faint line. Is it accurate or expired after an hour? Out of tests though and would have to go to the pharmacy and pay a couple of quid for another to be sure, best had I suppose as wife still expects us to attend her cousins party tonight without a certified test, witness statement and following interrogation!

No idea what I've got or if it's a series of things, posted on here on the 14th that I had a headache that wouldn't shift, that's faded mostly but I've had sore throat runny nose and still a headache since then, this morning it's on my chest too. Usually a pretty healthy guy, vitamin every day, high fruit and veg intake etc. Have been drinking a bit too much coffee and letting the water slip, but hardly a crime.

Took another covid test this morning and negative, came back to it an hour later and very very faint line. Is it accurate or expired after an hour? Out of tests though and would have to go to the pharmacy and pay a couple of quid for another to be sure, best had I suppose as wife still expects us to attend her cousins party tonight without a certified test, witness statement and following interrogation!

More likely you’ve got a small level of infection still, false positives are extremely rare.

I tested positive initially two and a half weeks ago and still haven’t got rid of all the symptoms.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.