Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I'm confused

How come some footballers are abroad/in their home nation ? Was it policy that varied between clubs, like Sergio and Otamendi have been here.

I see Christian Pulisic is in the US

https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-...KvTqtYOITvFiarRsa8b0aK1SSorQGXji6kv6iphmToXzH

Chelsea have called back several stars who were overseas during the coronavirus pandemic, among whom was USMNT star Christian Pulisic.

Other Chelsea stars to return include Kepa Arizzabalaga, Pedro and Marcos Alonso who were all in Spain, while Andreas Christensen was at home in Denmark, Emerson was in Italy and Willian had been with family in Brazil.

In April Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge pitch has been open for players who live nearby to complete running sessions individually but their training ground at Cobham has been closed.

The hope is that Premier League clubs can return to individual training at training grounds next week, then group training on May 18 and resume the 2019-20 season with behind closed doors games from June 8.

The UK government has currently set lockdown measures until May 7 but Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to give an update before then and has hinted at relaxing certain social distancing measures.

The plan is for teams to then embark on an intense mini preseason schedule for two to three weeks before games resume.

End this season, share whatever tv money evenly across the prem. No relegation, no champions, use last years positions to dictate european places. Prepare for next season with a lockdown in place, if a game is played behind closed doors the reverse fixture is played behind closed doors whether restriction in place or not. Never happen I know, but, IMO this is probably fairest way.
It's by far the easiest way. I think it will happen but only after they have tried everything possible as we can see.

I think one fair way to start next season is if all teams start in the position they are in now, and have a shortened season and this makes it fairer for teams who were likely to be champions/promoted/safe from relegation as well as making the games more relevant

Quite sure the Premeir league can do a deal with Sky etc., to repay monies owed over the next couple of seasons , but they won't becasue its all about their greed.
The PFA wont do a thing because they are kept afloat buy television rights money
Players agents will do nothing because they want the 10% of players end of season bonus's
UEFA like the Premeir league will always put their "product" and profits before any other considerations

The common denominator as we know is money , the only way football will be closed down for a few months is if the relative governments like Holland, Belgium , France refuse to allow sport to re-start , if Merkel & Boris agree to a July / August return for football then money has simply won over the health of their people, which is pretty disgusting
Merkel's statement on Wednesday is paramount and i believe whatever the German's decide others will follow suit.

They keep banging on about the integrity of the game, but, so far we've had, play behind closed doors, no home or away grounds, no relegation, more subs and now less minutes per half. Might as well just play fifa to decide it.
When you say integrity do you mean that the very existence of some football clubs is in question? If not, consider that.

It's likely that if football does not restart some football cl
Even if they do manage to finish the season by whatever far out methods to do so in order to satisfy the Media and football chiefs with Liverpool win of the premier league .

it will always be

2020 Liverpool *
2019 Manchester City
2018 Manchester City
2017 Chelsea
2016 Leicester city

* the season was suspended and matches not played during the coronavirus pandemic so they had to finish the season not playing football by the same conventional rules that all other premier title winners did when they won their title.
So when Rick Parry suggests a number of football clubs will go out of business you think he's joking?

tbh I don't know the scale of the financial liabilities facing football but few of you seem to be taking this into account.

Forget Liverpool. They are going to get the title anyway. Consider the potential impact on football of losing a huge slive of last years broadcasting revenue and next season's match-day revenue. How many clubs is that going to take out?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.