could we play three at the back?

Once a team clicks youre set up that way, they can exploit it. Would be a good tool in the box though to switch to if things werent going well - this is the ability to change formation dependent on the opposition tactics that MH hasnt got to grips with yet.

I'm not a fan of 3-5-2 but it seems to be creeping back into fashion as I've seen it a few times in recent weeks.

It was the in thing in the '90s with two attacking full backs bombing down either wing. Not sure it works though and for us in would be just shoe horning in players for the sake of it, IMO

GIVEN

TOURE KOMPS LESCOTT

GAZ BAZ N DE J

SWP BELLS

IRELAND

ADE TEVEZ

...............because Robbie or Martin Petrov wouldnt work hard enough to cover the left side....Micah Richards needs some reserve football to kick him up the arse....Kompany is very composed on the ball........and Wayne Bridge is our defensive weak link imo (but effective attacking)....

My 1st reaction was NO. But I can see that we do have the players that could make it work but it seems we'd have to play more defensive players to make it work, so still no from me.

It's a difficult one but my best 11 and formation would probably be this...

--------------Given-------------

Richards---Toure--Lescott---Bridge

--------------Barry------------

Bellamy-------Ireland-----Robinho

---------Tevez---Adebayor------

But Zab, de Jong, Kompany, Petrov, SWP, Johnson, Santa Cruz, Onuoha and Weiss can all do more than "a job".

What riches!

But I can't see Hughes ever going for 3 at the back with defensive wing backs. He didn't on Sunday when Zab went off but could've with the personnel we had..

Or maybe even this...

--------------Given-------------

Richards--Toure--Kompany--Lescott

--------------Barry------------

Bellamy-------Ireland-----Robinho

---------Tevez---Adebayor------

We could, but I would not like to see it. Would not be playing to our strengths for a start - three CBs and then one or two holding midfielders and you are already down to four or five players giving attacking options - if 2 are wing backs and 2 are strikers, that leaves just one max from midfield. And that doesn't even include accounting for the guy actually with the ball trying to make something happen. Not enough to break teams down in the modern game.

As it is now, we typically have up to 7 or even 8 players involved when we have the ball - one defender depending on what area play is building up on, two strikers one short and one giving longer option, two wider players and two central players looking for quick ball or orchestrating things.

Therefore, we'd effectively be reducing our attacking side from 7 to 5 players, and compensating for it by having an extra CB is not worth it imo. We'd still be suspect at defensive set pieces and just as likely to get caught out by a good pass - playing De Jong and Barry probably squeezes the spaces for the opposition much more than having an extra CB would do, with the added bonus of putting pressure on the player in possession, which a third CB woudl probably not do any better.

Theres only chelsea and villa have let in less than us aint there? 3 is tough to get to work IMO, and i think you need strong quick wingbacks to do it well, midfielders generally dont have the instinct of the defending side, fullbacks dont have the attacking side.

Esteban de la Sexface said:
No no no and no..

Three at the back would be a nightmare for us. Most teams now play three up top when in possession.

Arsenal, United, Pool and Chelsea would murder us if we had three at the back

Completely agree with this post, Liverpool on Saturday tried this formation trying to accomodate the return of Agger. Sunderland then proceded to get at them by pulling the wider of the 3 to the touchline creating massive gaps on the inside of the 3. I can only think of 1 team at any level to have won a trophy with this formation (someone will surely put me straight on this), Brazil in 2002 world cup, mind you there wing backs were Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

Lets pick a formation and stick to it by playing the best players available on the day to accomodate. Personally i like the 4-3-3, this give us the flexibility to revert to 4-5-1 if under any pressure or to play a game out when in front.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.