Coventry city

gordondaviesmoustache said:
It needs to be said that it's quite possibly the most dispiriting night out in the Midlands, apart from Stoke.

Wolverhampton is an experience that has to be seen to be believed as well, but i'd say Coventry edge over them on wrongness, never been out in Stoke, i never intended to if its worse than Cov,!!

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
It needs to be said that it's quite possibly the most dispiriting night out in the Midlands, apart from Stoke.

Wolverhampton is an experience that has to be seen to be believed as well, but i'd say Coventry edge over them on wrongness, never been out in Stoke, i never intended to if its worse than Cov,!!
Yeah, Wolverhampton did cross my mind. I was talking to someone about it a few weeks ago who said that without a doubt in the 60's and 70's it was the roughest town in England.

I would say, however, that it has a few redeeming qualities socially, including a fantastic pub called the Great Western owned by Holdens Brewery. It's still hardly Fulham though ;-)

Yeah, Wolverhampton did cross my mind. I was talking to someone about it a few weeks ago who said that without a doubt in the 60's and 70's it was the roughest town in England.

I would say, however, that it has a few redeeming qualities socially, including a fantastic pub called the Great Western owned by Holdens Brewery. It's still hardly Fulham though ;-)

One of its 'tourist' spots for years was a tramp who used to live on that big roundabout you cross from town towards the molineux. You asked any yammer about him and they were proud!!

Last time i was there, we witnessed 2 blokes fighting, each with a pint in their hands, neither seemed to be spilling a drop which was to be applauded, fine effort young sirs. Then theres the women who seemed even more up for a fight than the men one of them said to me "yow not frum rownd ere am yam? yow talk proper funnay yow do." I agreed it was me without an accent that sounded funny and not her yamming all over the show as i like my teeth to stay in my mouth.

We were certainly on our toes that night.

One of its 'tourist' spots for years was a tramp who used to live on that big roundabout you cross from town towards the molineux. You asked any yammer about him and they were proud!!

Last time i was there, we witnessed 2 blokes fighting, each with a pint in their hands, neither seemed to be spilling a drop which was to be applauded, fine effort young sirs. Then theres the women who seemed even more up for a fight than the men one of them said to me "yow not frum rownd ere am yam? yow talk proper funnay yow do." I agreed it was me without an accent that sounded funny and not her yamming all over the show as i like my teeth to stay in my mouth.

It's pretty shocking accent to the untrained ear.

Wolverhampton is one thing but some of the towns around it are really a sight to behold: Tipton, Bilston, Smethwick are all very rough, hard towns. I've always liked edgy boozers and there's certainly a few round there.

Never liked Coventry as they always escaped relegation and we never, also remember the game at Maine Rd when they attacked Disabled supporters in the Maine Stand and they thought they were the real deal.

But I do feel for a club who as to go through the shit we could soo easily have ended up with

It's pretty shocking accent to the untrained ear.

Wolverhampton is one thing but some of the towns around it are really a sight to behold: Tipton, Bilston, Smethwick are all very rough, hard towns. I've always liked edgy boozers and there's certainly a few round there.

I know the area well having lived in Birmingham in my youth and played cricket in the Worcestershire league, so often ended up in such places. Tipton!! Famous for 3 things, Steve Bull, the Tipton Taliban and the highest incest rate in Europe (in the 80s anyway). Smethwick is rough, went out with a girl from there and she broke some lads nose, headbutting him one night!! Salt of the earth people but as soon as anyone can they leave they do.

Anyone else remember back in the early 1970,s at Highfield Road,when the away fans stood neck to neck with the home fans behind the goal,with only a few coppers keeping us apart.One season we played them in February and those naughty policemen made all away fans who were wearing Doc Martin's boots to take them off and stand bare footed on concrete for 2+ hours.The bar stewards #!!!!!!!!

oakiecokie said:
Anyone else remember back in the early 1970,s at Highfield Road,when the away fans stood neck to neck with the home fans behind the goal,with only a few coppers keeping us apart.One season we played them in February and those naughty policemen made all away fans who were wearing Doc Martin's boots to take them off and stand bare footed on concrete for 2+ hours.The bar stewards #!!!!!!!!
I think you'e the only one on here old enough to remember that, oakie ;-)

oakiecokie said:
I think you'e the only one on here old enough to remember that, oakie ;-)
I do recollect seeing a Billy Meredith making his debut ! ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.