COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much.

Option1 : It’s lockdown now, destroy the economy, loads of people die and get ill, with the risk that it all happens again once the lockdown ends.

Option2 : Or... don’t fully lockdown yet, the economy is almost completely fucked, more people get ill and die initially but it might mean less do in the 2nd wave. When we eventually do fully lockdown, the economy is fucked.

That’s our two options.

I hear where your coming from mate but I think it's a bit different in fact.

The numbers of people who die is very strongly determined by the extent to which the NHS' ICU capacity is overloaded. Nearly everyone who needs ventilator support and who cannot get it, will die. What they have realised (and was obvious to many of us) is that had they carried on with Option 2, the NHS would be completely overwhelmed and the numbers of people dying would be off the scale. They talked about 250,000 *if* we had enough capacity, which of course we do not. So the numbers would be much higher than 250,000 - something in the region of half a million - with 14,500 people dying per day at the peak.

So Option1 becomes the only option. We have no choice. There are no circumstances where more people will die under Option1. This idea that Option2 might be better in the long run, has been shown to be wrong. It's SO bad in the short term, it cannot possibly be better.

And regards Option1, we may well have several "waves". After each wave is under control, we can ease off on measures and then if the numbers start to pick up again, we need to lock down again. We are going to have to get used to this for the next 18 months, because there is no alternative which does not leave half a million people dead.

What’s the deal with high blood pressure. My mum is on medication for it but doesn’t have HBP whilst on the medication.

Im reading though that it’s the actual HBP medication that increases the risk. Anyone got anymore solid intel on this?

Some positive news landed in my inbox this morning. An IT Service Provider that we use in China has resumed normal operations so it sounds as though they have emerged from the other side. They have been in lock down since the start of Feb. Hopefully an indication as to where we can be in a similar amount of time....
B&Q said only the other day mate that 95% of their supply from China is back on track now. How the Chinese will stop the outbreak taking hold again, remains to be seen, but they are sufficiently confident that they have dismantled the hospitals and sent used ventilators to Italy, so you have to assume they think they have it under control.

i know you’ve been defending the government, and I think it’s all too easy to criticise; they’ve got a ridiculously difficult job to do at the moment, but the ventilator situation is absolutely disgraceful.

Not increasing ventilator capacity in Jan and not ramping up test capacity were very poor shows, even if they didn't need them they could have used to test/treat other countries patients if they went full tilt and have over capacity. taking these actions 8-10 weeks later is piss poor. The rest of it you can argue either way, its immensely tough judgement calls with too many unknown variables, but to not start increasing capacity till now is as you say disgraceful.

Today's media briefing will be interesting. Yesterday the media was very friendly but they need to ask questions today about suppression v herd immunity.

presumably the whole world is going through the same debate behind the scenes?

If the conclusion is mitigation/herd immunity is the way to go, I'd be surprised but people are rational and they know their subject better than we do so one must trust. I would however like some more justification for adopting 1918 strategy in 2020!
Where do you get this idea from?

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/13/the-flu-that-wasnt-spanish/

Sounds like it was just ignored at the time.

What’s the deal with high blood pressure. My mum is on medication for it but doesn’t have HBP whilst on the medication.

Im reading though that it’s the actual HBP medication that increases the risk. Anyone got anymore solid intel on this?
your correct,high blood presure on its own does not increase risk,its the medication,maybe worth you malking a phone call to the surgery to brief you up so your 100%

The criticism would be why was not actual data on the virus used in the first place? If we didn’t have access then why were countries and organisations privy to the actual data not heeded more? There could be good reasons for not doing so but that is a debate for later.

This report was compiled a few days ago, I don't know how long it would have taken them to get the data sorted and put into the model, but remember that as of a week ago there were only 21000 cases outside China.

The Netherlands and Sweden are both still following mitigation approaches. We'll see if they change now.

Does anyone know what the deal is with 'healthy' over 70 year olds? From the press conference yesterday and the guidance online it says anyone over 70 should self isolate for 12 weeks but didn't Hancock say they meant over 70 and with an underlying condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.