COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it depends on how much money youhave if you can pay your mortgage with both out of work on lockdown
I would call it serious.
What I quoted was only to show how serious the Spanish are taking it unlike some countries
That's the difference mate they had a Paddy's parade in m/Cr at the weekend yet we're on a little island and daren't fucking move some of what I'm reading about back home is crazy.

There was talk of it and hopefully it will come. The rent situation in the city will be critical as €203 wouldn't rent a kennel in Dublin.
Agreed. I've tenants in Clontarf and both are already out of work. I can cover the mortgage for a few months and I'm not going to pressure them but I can't keep it going indefinitely.

No, all their calculations were based on the 5000 ICU beds before the outbreak. The government have said they might be able to increase that "several fold" with commandeering private hospitals and using operating rooms that would have been doing non-emergency surgeries.
Good, that's encouraging. Everything possible must be done.

Could it be the data that was used was the only data that was available at the time and your concept of another set of 'actual data' is a complete fiction? The self-fulfilling prophecy business on here is thriving.

Alternatively the data fairies may have stolen the actual data to make fairy data castles on clouds leaving our poor lads to rely on theoretical data.

I know it’s difficult to accept that our lads may have got it a bit wrong but all countries are making mistakes. We are all in the same boat so how about we leave our ‘British is best’ flags at home and pitch in with everyone else.

For example we need to follow the lead of France, Germany, Nordic countries et al who are rolling out financial measures to support the economy. They have shown the way. We need to follow.

My business has just had the next 6 months of orders wiped out. I can cut my cloth but impact beyond September leaves me in tatters. Six months of opportunity to paint the house, get a ripped body and watch shite tv.....
Take care Blues. Hope your livelihoods are ok.
I hope that things recover in time for your business to not be so badly affected - is there a way in which it can be done more remotely? Sorry that could be daft as I do not know what you do.

I also think that Netflix, Prime and SKY are going to be getting a lot more of my time than would normally be the case.

I also have several weeks worth of 'pottering' in the garden to do - but I just wonder how long it is going to take before those novelties wear off and I start climbing the walls....

I would expect that an awful lot of people are going to come to some sobering realisations about this 'event' and its repercussions in the coming days and weeks.

Stay safe everyone

Last edited:
This is one of my worries, that by trying to minimise deaths from the virus now we only succeed in pushing the boat downstream if we come out the other side with an economic wasteland as a "present" to the next generation - that will have its own significant death toll in the longer term.
Yes agreed.

I am a "baby boomer" - a child of the 60's born at a time when the UK started to look up again, to a brighter future and people were confident once more. The salutory point is that this was 15 years after the end of WW2. Now of course I am not suggesting that our infrastructure and ways of life will be anything like as badly as disrupted as in WW2, but nevertheless, it *could* take a long time for things to get back to normal.

Or it could not. If we do everything we can to keep businesses afloat and keep people in employment (even if unable to work), able to pay their bills and stay in their homes, then we can come out the other side relatively unscathed. But if you cannot shop at Marks & Spencer because they don't exist anymore, or go on holiday with EasyJet because there is no EasyJet, then it will take a lot longer.

1600 die from flu on average in the UK and there's going to be a big overlap.

That would make this 5x worse than flu.
Doesn’t seem like a fair comparison to make? How many flu deaths would there be if we had social distancing, isolated the elderly/at risk and closed schools for 60% of a normal year?

Yes agreed.

I am a "baby boomer" - a child of the 60's born at a time when the UK started to look up again, to a brighter future and people were confident once more. The salutory point is that this was 15 years after the end of WW2. Now of course I am not suggesting that our infrastructure and ways of life will be anything like as badly as disrupted as in WW2, but nevertheless, it *could* take a long time for things to get back to normal.

Or it could not. If we do everything we can to keep businesses afloat and keep people in employment (even if unable to work), able to pay their bills and stay in their homes, then we can come out the other side relatively unscathed. But if you cannot shop at Marks & Spencer because they don't exist anymore, or go on holiday with EasyJet because there is no EasyJet, then it will take a lot longer.
Yes, I'm a "boomer" too, born in 1954. The government is going to have to lean hard on the banks with regard to their attitude to defaults on loans, unauthorised overdrafts etc - millions will be facing difficulties paying basic bills if this lockdown is stretching to 18 months on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.