COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 70s
Mr Whitty said: "This is a quite large group, of people who are over 70 (and possibly quite healthy)".

He added: "We know that older people are at greater risk but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will get it worse."

People who have a significant health condition
Mr Whitty said: "These are mainly adults we want them to take even great care. This is critical."

He said the geoup included: "People in adult life who would normally be advised to have the flu jab with chronic conditions like chronic heart disease or chronic kidney disease."

Pregnant women
Mr Whitty described this as "a precautionary measure" because "we are early in out understanding of this virus and we want to be sure, [so will include] women who are pregnant".

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Me and the Mrs always go together. She knows what we want, I always buy the wrong things, but she struggles with the full trolley so I do that.
My role is confined to getting the stuff that is too high up for her to reach
Bit confused as to who is in the at risk group for the 12 week isolation, anybody any idea?
Good question. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and is on immuno suppressants. That wasn’t specifically mentioned as a vulnerable category yesterday, although in the guidelines issued in ROI it is.

I think she’s in “Group 3” which means she’s meant to receive a call from her GP in the next 7 days to give her bespoke guidance

We are in 14 days isolation.

My wife has woken up with headache and a fever. No real cough yet.

Son has a cough and runny nose.

I ok. Only been 2 hours and I see it it going to be a long 14 days.

Daughter on her way home from work.

Hope all goes well blue

Agreed mate.

The other bit I may have missed (didn't pour over every word because it's too depressing) is I didn't see any significant ramp up in ICU capacity over the period. Was that in there?

No, all their calculations were based on the 5000 ICU beds before the outbreak. The government have said they might be able to increase that "several fold" with commandeering private hospitals and using operating rooms that would have been doing non-emergency surgeries.

What is far from clear is just how the country will cope from the effect of all of the changes. We are a looking at 18 months now of changes to peoples ways of life not seen since WW2. This is going to have enormous knock on effects for all of us. I cannot even begin to imagine.
This is one of my worries, that by trying to minimise deaths from the virus now we only succeed in pushing the boat downstream if we come out the other side with an economic wasteland as a "present" to the next generation - that will have its own significant death toll in the longer term.

1600 die from flu on average in the UK and there's going to be a big overlap.

That would make this 5x worse than flu.
Don't know where you got the 1,600 figure from, but that's much lower than I had read elsewhere. You may be right, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.