COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they may have some coming by end of April perhaps, and whilst that may be too late for the peak, it is not of zero value because I imagine the NHS will still be hugely overloaded at that time. I would think they will be made in Malaysia and air-freighted in.

EDIT: I did't see your post above. Yes, June would be more realistic. Perhaps I was too optimistic suggesting end of April, but I was basing it on the bluster and bullshit being spouted by Zahawi last night. Silly of me.

It seems they are putting the infrastructure in place to cope with the second wave for when they have to relax some of the restrictions. As has been said many times, this is going to be around for a while, at least until a vaccine is available, even if that is successful.

If some of the hygiene practices become second nature there is the potential to reduce many other infections and reduce strain on the health services long term.

There also has to be a major rethink on supply chains for key industries and we need to have the ability to be more self sufficient. Crazy that it was only January when somebody in government was quoted as saying we didn’t need to grow our own food!!!

Sorry to bang on about this, but I am just really, really puzzled as to WTF has gone on here in the UK.

One month ago or more, we could see this coming. We had our original plan A which was to allow it to swiftly move through the population with a fucking humungous peak and widespread carnage. Quickly replaced by the plan B which everyone else in the world is following, of trying to suppress the virus as much as possible in order to save lives. Thank God!

But my point is that both plans anticipated a fucking great big peak. Either the first humungous one, or the one we are facing now. We saw how China had to build hospitals in 1 week to try to provide capacity. And we saw that 2 months ago.

Why are we only hearing over the last day or so about plans for makeshift hospital facilities at Excel London and elsewhere? Why did we not ask Dyson and others to get ventilators made and fucking sharpish, back in February? How come we didn't say to the supermarkets "In March, you are going to need 10x your online delivery capacity, so get ready". The supermarkets are all fucked, because they had zero notice of all of this. All of this smacks to me of too little, too late and a complete lack of foresight, or at the very least of pro-active, preparatory actions.

We've all banged on about the utter insanity of not shutting airports, allowing uncontrolled numbers into the UK without checks, of mass events still taking place etc. But that's really a seperate point. All of that make this impending surge in demand even more nailed on, and even bigger. And yet we seem to have done little to prepare for it. I just cannot get my head around it.

Last edited:
She was a little truculent, but thought Zahawi was being an evasive ****. She should have been more controlled, however.

Maitlis normally very good tbf and I think she’s extremely attractive. I find her intelligence very sexy and I reckon she’d be a good laugh too.
Rumoured to be the BBC Raleigh...

This self isolation is alot harder than I thought it was going to be. I am abit worried about my auntie who has to self isolate for 12 weeks as she lives on her own, she has lots of family near by but we cant go in to see her. She use to go out every day for a bit of shopping or to serve her friends.

I am also worried that once our self isolation is finished that we have to go back into the public to work. At the moment my work place has sent us home, but to be ready should we be need for food delivery for the community. My missus who works for a solicitors is still open but with restrictions and she is a diabetic. My lad works at halfords and is very angry that he will have to go to another store as his store isnt opening but has to go to another one to sell bikes.

As each day goes by its getting abit more scary but fellow blues this is a great place to take our minds of it or to come and ask for help and advice. To feel part of a community that's keep helping each other , and that's inportant . Thanks to Ric and his team for keeping this site going .....thanks

Keep your chin up pal.
My youngest lad was stood down for a day from his job at Argos but has now been asked to go and help out at Sainsbury's.
He wasn't massively keen,however he's gone this morning,at least he'll be helping at a place that offers an essential service.

Not for a month or two, from the BBC this morning.
Possibly unreliable memory, but I think they said June before they were available.
Didn't the minister on Newsnight say April? (Maitlis tried to pin him down on when in April but he was saying other manufacturers are also "ramping up".) If I've got it right, Dyson are being paid for 10,000, giving us another 1,000, and giving other countries 4,000. Let's hope they're quieter than his hand dryers. Unless the design mostly uses parts they use in their other products, it would be remarkable if they source the components that readily. And how many can you get in an air-freighter from Malaysia?

I am chilled don’t worry. Just pissed with people on here with their constant sniping, it’s not necessary or helpful. Everyone is going through the same issues yet some almost take great delight in scaremongering, talking bullshit, taking things out of context etc. We will defeat this virus although there will be some painful outcomes and for many, life will be totally different and the way we live might not be for everyone but that’s the case at the moment.

We heard the same a fortnight ago. How it was nonsense, hype, it was just the flu etc. We now know it isn't. There's no real scaremongering now it's just the potential gravity of it all. Some people like to look at numbers and percentages to look for trends and predictions to try to understand the scale of what we're facing. If you don't like it, scroll past.

And it was actually your post that was wrong and aggressive saying that people were slagging off the govt for the Excel London transformation into a hospital when not one person was having a go.

Keep your chin up pal.
My youngest lad was stood down for a day from his job at Argos but has now been asked to go and help out at Sainsbury's.
He wasn't massively keen,however he's gone this morning,at least he'll be helping at a place that offers an essential service.
Judging by the low number of customers in our local Sainsbury (including those who walk out when there are no toilet rolls) I'm thinking most of the extra staff being taken on will be to cover for when the regular staff have to go off with it or self-isolating.

Common colds are types of Coronavirus. They’ve been with us for thousands of years.
Absolutely correct. The point is that viruses mutate at a very fast rate and pop up in different configurations all the time. That is why your flu jab is a different concoction each year. It is an informed guess as to which virus and which version will be around. Two years ago, the flu jab was completely useless, as the guess was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.