COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is apparently one case where it took 27 days for the symptoms to appear.

Still though this is where education is needed. If people practice good hygiene and don't goto Wuhan on holiday then the chances of contracting it are pretty much non-existant.

This isn't a virus that is actively spreading amongst the general population otherwise we'd have thousands of cases and not 50. Even if that does happen then it will be isolated to certain areas.

To think Wuhan has a population of 10 million or so and only tens of thousands got it (barely 1%).... It's still unlikely that you'd get it even at ground zero. The increase in cases in China is also reducing and half have made a full recovery.
Just to clarify, there are many more in Wuhan and China in general that contracted the virus than is reflected in the confirmed cases metrics, the same as the UK, US, Italy, Iran, South Korea, or anywhere else where the virus is present. We are also in the very beginning of the outbreak in the UK, so what has happened thus far is not sufficient to properly project.

And China took draconian measures to stop the spread, which will not be feasible in other nations, including ours, so it’s not a great case study for how things will likely progress here.

I wonder if governments are keeping a lid on real numbers so as not to create wide spread panic buying etc. Markets would go into free fall maybe if the real numbers came out.
Right I’m off to the shops to buy bog roll and tins of soup, see you after the apocalypse

I wonder if governments are keeping a lid on real numbers so as not to create wide spread panic buying etc. Markets would go into free fall maybe if the real numbers came out.
Right I’m off to the shops to buy bog roll and tins of soup, see you after the apocalypse

I don’t think any governments or media can be accused to keeping a lid on it, there is plenty of panic around.

better we are over cautious than under I suppose.

you can still buy bog rolls but hand sanitiser , that ship has sailed.

Police could be reduced to just dealing with very serious crimes and maintaining public order, while the NHS could be closed to all but critical care, as part of the government's coronavirus plans.

Under ministers' action plan to deal with a mass outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus, it has been revealed emergency services all have measures in place to "fulfil critical functions".

But they would have to reduce services should significant numbers of police officers, NHS staff and other public services be struck down by the virus.

The government also confirmed plans were in place to draft in the army, if necessary, to maintain public order

• Police would "concentrate on responding to serious crimes" if they lose a "significant" amount of staff to illness
  • UK has stockpiles of medicines for the NHS, along with protective clothing and equipment for medical staff
  • If coronavirus becomes widespread, there will be a focus on essential services for those "most at risk"
  • The Ministry of Defence will provide support as needed
  • There will be increased government communication with parliament, the public and the media
  • Social distancing strategies could be implemented, which would include school closures, home-working, and reducing the number of large scale gatherings
  • Non-urgent operations and procedures could be cancelled and hospital discharges monitored to free up beds
  • Measures would come into place to help businesses with short-term cash flow problems
  • A distribution strategy for sending out key medicines and equipment to NHS and social care patients
Ministers did not put figures on projected mortality rates for a severe outbreak of COVID-19, but confirmed there could be an increase in deaths arising from the outbreak.

Reports of worst-case scenario plans suggest four out of five people could contract the virus with up to 500,000 deaths.

The government action plan, revealed on Tuesday, warned of a depletion in workforces across the UK.

Officials said they were "uncertain of the impact of the outbreak for business" but confirmed that one in five workers could be absent in the weeks the virus peaks.

Lots more here

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...me-in-case-of-mass-covid-19-outbreak-11948456

So. No change there then.

I have only had proper flu once that i can remember as it wasn't long ago,i ended up with a chest infection and antibiotics,it was awful,i can't afford a repeat of that now,probably shouldn't of hugged everybody this last 2 days but i'm a hugger,have a really sore throat today,hopefully it's nothing,i am back in my bubble so isolating would be fine

I’ve had the flu once before and consequently I’ve always laughed at those who take this piss out of it by likening it to the common cold.

2 weeks aside in my entire working life, I’ve never taken a day sick and it was the flu that did it.

For the first week I literally couldn’t get out of bed. My body felt like it just shut down.

Fucking horrible illness. I’d rather have toothache, and that’s saying something.

I’ve had the flu once before and consequently I’ve always laughed at those who take this piss out of it by likening it to the common cold.

2 weeks aside in my entire working life, I’ve never taken a day sick and it was the flu that did it.

For the first week I literally couldn’t get out of bed. My body felt like it just shut down.

Fucking horrible illness. I’d rather have toothache, and that’s saying something.
it is true what they say that if you have flu and a £50 note flies by you can't fet out of bed to get it,it is like the difference between a headache and a migraine

it is true what they say that if you have flu and a £50 note flies by you can't fet out of bed to get it,it is like the difference between a headache and a migraine

Why are people chucking £50 notes at you when you are in bed Kaz? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.