COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Infection fatality rate is somewhere between 0.25% and 1% based on studies in Germany and America

From the measured mortality you can then get a rough idea of how many people have had it - very rough based on a that spread.

For example if we assume 0.5% IFR and 50,000 deaths in the UK then 10m have had it in the UK. However nothing is simple. Can we say that the IFR is uniform when we know for example that demographics have such a huge effect. Look at Africa. Look at Singapore. The migrant population hut hard, the domestic population untouched. Look at New York, New York City has antibody rates of 50% according to a very large survey and yet the suburbs have hardly been touched. It's not uniform.

I must admit the antibody testing in the UK conflicts with this.

I think your logic may be flawed. The fatality rate as quoted in the US and Germany is calculated by taking the number of people who have died and dividing that by the numbers of people they believe to have been infected. The latter is an input to the equation, not an output, so you cannot use the fatality rate like you have done above, to calculate the numbers infected.

The ONS Rolling report last published on 28th may. Some newspapers did sensationalist reports based on it and I didnt want to quote them.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-covid-19-surveillance-reports

The top document is the one to look at. 2nd map on page 6.
As you can see the North West, North Midlands, Durham thru Middlesbrough, Hull, Grantham, Huntingdon, Western Super Mate and Kent are not in a good shape - though Red is still a declining (just) epidemic.

Last edited:
I wonder why when total lockdown was eased that Spain brought in a legally binding rule that facemasks must be used in all public places?
I assumed the mask protects others and in a way reduces the 2 metre rule to about 1 metre. Is that wrong?
No your not wrong. Being outside is fine, but when you go into communal spaces, shopping spaces and on public transport face covering should be mandatory.

No your not wrong. Being outside is fine, but when you go into communal spaces, shopping spaces and on public transport face covering should be mandatory.
Just reading in El Pais that as the various Provinces are at different stages of relaxation of rules the r number varies.
The ones with the lowest r number are Madrid and Catalona which are just into stage 1.
The ones with the highest r number are some of the ones in stage 2 for over a week including Andelucia.

Some are actually over r = 1 .
Average at moment is r = 0.8

So in Spain relaxation has elevated r but not stopped the President from saying today that June 21 is the last day of the Alarm measures and he has passed control to the individual regions for bringing things to normal.
Either r becomes less of a problem as cases are lowered.or we must be very careful as our death rate in particular has reached below 10 per day in all of Spain.

Was going to say the same.
I felt shit for 3 or 4 days in March a week or so after Wembley. Didn’t think I had it because I didn’t have the cough but I’m not so sure now.
It would be interesting to take the antibody test.

early March could well have been it ( or a cold :) )

when you think the week ending 27th March was the start of the excess death spike. So 2-3 weeks prior to that was the start of the infection spike.

Still think that phantom week long stomach cramps I had could’ve been CV19.
Can’t trace it back to anything else but I guess unless I have the antibodies test I won’t know.
Of course, without CV19 it would’ve just been a stomach bug I’d attribute to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.