COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come off it mate, everybody looks for path of least resistance, which is buying them off eBay & Amazon etc. British mentality.

Last resort is using something homemade.

they needed to be really educating that what the public need is not the same as what the front line need!

Having read the first one, I can only see one thing that would of made a massive difference initially:

"....the Hong Kong Government imposed a mandatory two-week period of quarantine for returnees, who must now wear tracking bracelets and register their whereabouts on self-isolation smartphone apps. Foreign visitors have been barred completely, as escapees seek safety from the worsening situations elsewhere."

Not closing the UK border to visitors and enforcing isolation for returning travellers seems to be the most critical failing decision of the government if you ask me.

The girl i am seeing currently is a nurse at Tameside hospital.

She's been working on the covid wards whilst her normal ward is closed during this crisis.

Of course the whole epidemic has come in our talks, she mentioned that a lot of the times when in the morgue to help with the risk of not passing the disease on to other people they are being marked down as the cause of death being COVID-19.

Crazy right? So people who have passed due to Cancer are now being marked down as a covid19 death. there was a lad who did in a motorcycle accident who on his death certificate has it down that he died due to coronavirus.

I am sure in the future a lot of the deaths we have had will be relooked at.
The motorcyclist - maybe he should have done a 60 mile round trip to Alton Towers to check his eyesight.

Having read the first one, I can only see one thing that would of made a massive difference initially:

"....the Hong Kong Government imposed a mandatory two-week period of quarantine for returnees, who must now wear tracking bracelets and register their whereabouts on self-isolation smartphone apps. Foreign visitors have been barred completely, as escapees seek safety from the worsening situations elsewhere."

Not closing the UK border to visitors and enforcing isolation for returning travellers seems to be the most critical failing decision of the government if you ask me.
2nd to face coverings.
Difficult to apply with a major air transfer hub in your capital city and when your own people are returning from holiday in Spain and the Alps - without a law in place to restrict movement.

I think people may simply feel embarrassed. Might also be worth mentioning the POTUS has chastised his political opponents for wearing them, as those who wear them can appear 'weak' and not very masculine. Yes, it sounds utterly ridiculous but it's human nature.
Human nature and culture - in many Asian countries it's de rigueur to wear a mask.

So, why do you think that the death rate for men working in social care settings is almost 3 times higher than in hospital settings and twice as high in women, in the same situation?
We were testing care home patients, in hospitals, for Corvid, they were testing positive and we then sent them back into the care home. Once visiting was banned there were only two groups they were going to infect, staff and patients.
If you’re earning £1200 per month and your rent is £700 and your employer says you can’t be furloughed (because your job still currently happens) so you can get £196 for two weeks off sick, how likely is it that, at the start of all this, members of staff would have stayed at home? That was particularly compounded by them not being able to access testing, so they might have had a cold/flu, stay at home for 2 weeks. Back to work, look after a covid patient, get symptoms, stay at home for 2 weeks.
As for evidence, I only have what I have seen with my own eyes and people I have spoken to.
I don’t have any empirical, peer reviewed evidence, but then neither did professor Ferguson and he’s brought about the biggest financial catastrophe (and likely long term sustained reduction in life expectancy and quality of life) the world has ever seen....

I agreed with you that social care didn’t get the protection residents and clients deserved. Many Visitors would have been asymptomatic as well as agency staff travelling between care homes. Yes the likelihood is that some people carried the virus from hospitals to care homes but it’s not as clear cut as you made out.

I think what you said about workers deliberately going to work knowing they have the virus is pretty low and I gave you the opportunity to change your bitter view.

Surprised City haven’t launched a line in masks. Would sell well plus the club could be seen as being responsible especially if they sell them not for profit.

I agreed with you that social care didn’t get the protection residents and clients deserved. Many Visitors would have been asymptomatic as well as agency staff travelling between care homes. Yes the likelihood is that some people carried the virus from hospitals to care homes but it’s not as clear cut as you made out.

I think what you said about workers deliberately going to work knowing they have the virus is pretty low and I gave you the opportunity to change your bitter view.
Some people carried the virus from hospital to care home but it’s not as clear as I made out? Elderly patients were tested in hospitals, tested positive and were then sent back to their care homes (who often weren’t told about that positive test) in order that the ‘NHS was not overwhelmed’ and you say it’s not as clear as it’s made out?
As for care home workers knowingly going to work infected, it wasn’t meant to be a bitter view mate, just realistic. You might be lucky enough to not worry about where your next meal is coming from, but not everyone has that luxury. Many of the care home workers are on zero hours contracts, work 2/3 different jobs and don’t have access to any other money and the state aid they’d get is next to useless. They might well have had very minor symptoms and could not access testing in the early stages and you think that they’d have all stayed at home for 2 weeks, just in case?

Yup, a woman I work with took two weeks off because she had a cough, which turned out to be nothing. Now her husband has tested positive so she has been told she has to self isolate for two weeks. But she already has taken the two weeks sick leave, so she will get nothing. Luckily she is alright and has enough money so it's not a major issue, but a ton of people who are living week to week will be being asked to self isolate just in case they have it and that will inevitably lead to some of them going in to work because they need the money.

Some people might end up being told 3 or 4 times they should isolate for 2 weeks, without pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.