COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
how old is your dads mate ?

57, he's a big fella and has asthma so no real surprise but he was fine this time last week and then it hit him quickly.

It sounds like he's got a lot better over the weekend since being on oxygen, managed to get the game on his phone last night apparently anyway!

Completely agree. We can't keep this lockdown extended indefinitely purely as the social, economic and many other costs will start to significantly outweigh what the lockdown is seeking to fix. If we carry this on for too long, we're looking at massive job losses, causing enormous pressure on the benefits system, mental health etc, plus income tax receipts will come down as a result leaving less money to pay for those needing hospital treatment. There is no easy way out of this, but we can't keep pretending that 'just keep it locked down' is a viable medium term fix.
I know this has been stated many times, but we as a country need to act collectively to get on top of this, coming down really hard on those not willing to.

This is a serious global issue and having people ignoring the safety of themselves and others, will simply prolong its presence and pain to each and everyone of us

Professor Semple has said that more women than men are being admitted to hospital at the moment, and he guesses that is more to do with their roles on the front line of society. However, this was not the case during the first wave of the outbreak.

that is a change

As safe as they are getting.
You have already said you haven’t been in one since they reopened so you admit you have no idea what you are talking about.
And already, today, the govt have taken a step to making them safer by giving teaching staff priority with NHS staff for testing.
Before today that didn’t happen.

I'm not allowed, have to drop my daughter off at the school gate, no parents allowed on the site. The classes stay together, have to wash their hands etc. At playtime the playground or field is split into however many classes there are so they don't mix with other years. Start and finish times are staggered. There is a chance of getting it I'm sure, but the impact of not educating kids far outweighs the impact of the virus for me.

Remind me when kids were not being educated?

We jumped through all the hoops to provide remote learning during the first lockdown. Any kids who did nothing during that time, the responsibility lies with their parents.

I saw a graph yesterday that said 21% of all 'disruption' (people isolating, etc) was caused by schools. The govts response is to shut pubs an hour early....

It was totally obvious that schools/colleges would be a problem. I commute on the tram and there is hardly anybody who wears a mask, most just have it as some kind of fashion thing. Zero distancing on public transport and its going to get much worse with the cold weather arriving.

Education should be remote where possible. It's absolutely mental that we've now got over 200 schools/colleges in Manchester alone with confirmed cases, yet the answer is shutting a pub at 10? Really?

I saw a graph yesterday that said 21% of all 'disruption' (people isolating, etc) was caused by schools. The govts response is to shut pubs an hour early....

Unfortunately schools, work etc are essential.

This all centres around the R rate, and getting it back below 1.

So if we've got an R rate of 1.1 at the moment (conservative), 0.3 or more of that might be due to schools and work, but if we can slice off 0.11 from reducing pub hours and other non-essential things, then you can get the R rate down below 1 again without having millions of kids at home.

Remind me when kids were not being educated?

We jumped through all the hoops to provide remote learning during the first lockdown. Any kids who did nothing during that time, the responsibility lies with their parents.

Oh right, lets shut all schools then permanently as clearly in your eyes setting some lessons for kids parents to undertake with them is just as beneficial to learning as going to school.

My daughter is now in year 1 and her reading, spelling and math's improved during lockdown, but that is stuff we can help with and teach her. I doubt that the majority of parents would be able to adequately teach a child above year 2 or 3 once they get past learning the basics.

Closing schools should not be an option unless the virus mutates to something a lot more serious than what it is and has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.