COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will we be back to normal?
It ends with immunity / mutation / therapeutics.

Ignore mutation for the moment.

Immunity: Complicated because it's not just antibodies but the epidemic is shaped by it, for example there have been no outbreaks in London or New York since the Spring (yet it probably will change). However to stop community transmission we need a vaccine. The Chinese vaccines are almost there. They are the 'safest' imo because with one exception they use traditional inactivated virus which are well understood whereas many of the Western vaccines use newer methods. Politically its unlikely the West will want to use vaccines developed by the Chinese so we are reliant on:

Oxford vaccine - trialed globally but largest trial is in the US.
Pfizer vaccine - trialed largely in the US
Moderna vaccine- trialed solely in the US

The leading candidates were the Oxford vaccine and a vaccine from Pfizer which were expected to reveal results in October. However for two weeks the Oxford vaccine trial has been suspended in the US because of two adverse reactions in the UK which may or may not have been linked to the vaccination. The UK regulator has allowed UK trials to continue but the US regulator has not. Meanwhile, an early emergency use authorisation in the States looks unlikely because its being reported that the US FDA (their regulator) will extend the minimum trial period for the vaccines. This has not yet confirmed but it likely stems from falling US public faith in vaccines as they have become politicised by the US presidential elections.

In short, vaccine timetable has just been pushed back to December. This is just opinion and should not be taken as fact. The US political news has yet to be confirmed.

it’s happening, thousands are being positively tested, out of those many will need hospital treatment and many will die - it takes 2-3 weeks to see the real affect. I prey i’m wrong

My whole household tested positive on Monday, this thing spreads very quickly as we all had the symptoms starting on the same day.

I was told by said clown, im no longer allowed to sit in my mums garden weeks ago, having read your posts on this topic from the last day or so its clear that anyone disagreeing in the slightest with whats coming out from the shitshow 'in charge' is in the wrong. You carry on doing what you want to do and ill carry on doing what I want.
All boils down to taxation and the economy.

If you had to pay tax to sit in your mum's garden you can guarantee you would be allowed to continue.

Take your mum to a pub or restaurant, the virus must be less prevalent there than in her garden. Sitting indoors 2m away from strangers must be safer than sitting 5m away from her in her garden!

Immunity: Complicated because it's not just antibodies but the epidemic is shaped by it, for example there have been no outbreaks in London or New York since the Spring (yet it probably will change). However to stop community transmission we need a vaccine. The Chinese vaccines are almost there. They are the 'safest' imo because with one exception they use traditional inactivated virus which are well understood whereas many of the Western vaccines use newer methods. Politically its unlikely the West will want to use vaccines developed by the Chinese so we are reliant on:

The leading candidates were the Oxford vaccine and a vaccine from Pfizer which were expected to reveal results in October. However for two weeks the Oxford vaccine trial has been suspended in the US because of two adverse reactions in the UK which may or may not have been linked to the vaccination. The UK regulator has allowed UK trials to continue but the US regulator has not. Meanwhile, an early emergency use authorisation in the States looks unlikely because its being reported that the US FDA (their regulator) will extend the minimum trial period for the vaccines. This has not yet confirmed but it likely stems from falling US public faith in vaccines as they have become politicised by the US presidential elections.

In short, vaccine timetable has just been pushed back to December. This is just opinion and should not be taken as fact. The US political news has yet to be confirmed.

It's incredible that politics plays any part in this, particularly in the US where so many people have died.

We humans really are utterly stupid.

There are good reasons why her personal ratings in Scotland are so high and its nothing to do with being vile. More that she has shown leadership, honesty, integrity and a great deal of compassion. She has got stuff wrong as well but thank christ for her.

I used to go to Scotland regularly for work, I'm still in touch with a few colleagues, most of whom didn't rate her before the pandemic but think very highly of her now. Like you say she's demonstrated actual leadership and her compassion has really come across. Her presence at the daily briefings (the fact Scotland still has daily briefings) and the clear communication has been in stark contrast to Boris bloody Johnson. Basic stuff, that him and his lightweight cabinet have got wrong at every turn.

I think the 3 listed there will end up being stop gaps till someone comes up with something that has been developed and tested over a longer period of time. There were 8 in stage 3 trials which I’m sure will rise to bigger numbers giving countries more options. I found it interesting that Mexico of all places has placed an order with Russia for theirs, I don’t know what to make of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.