COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have suggested a few times in recent days in here Blueanorak - we target messages at the two different problems. The young who can and wil take risks explaining why they need to stay clear of infecting the vulnerable. And the older/vulnerable who need to be aware of why they have to keep shielding as much as possible and balance their risk in a different way.

Herd immunity if it is real can be factored into strategies but trying to do one thing for everyone is a doomed message because these two groups of society need to be aware of very different things.

And the messaging from stuffy docs and politicians few now trust is useless. It has to come from generational icons that these two very different groups will listen to.

Why they are not employing them now to help the two different parts of society hear what they have to do from people they can empathise with I do not know.

Its so obviously needed as a way forward and I guess the doctors and politicians must just be too arrogant to assume anyone but them can tell people how to act in a pandemic.

It will not work as they have lost trust and the messaging needs a change of tack right away.

As I have suggested a few times in recent days in here Blueanorak - we target messages at the two different problems. The young who can and wil take risks explaining why they need to stay clear of infecting the vulnerable. And the older/vulnerable who need to be aware of why they have to keep shielding as much as possible and balance their risk in a different way.

Herd immunity if it is real can be factored into strategies but trying to do one thing for everyone is a doomed message because these two groups of society need to be aware of very different things.

And the messaging from stuffy docs and politicians few now trust is useless. It has to come from generational icons that these two very different groups will listen to.

Why they are not employing them now to help the two different parts of society hear what they have to do from peoplke they can empathise with I do not know.

Its so obviously needed and I guess the doctors and politicians are just too arrogant to assume anyone but them can tell people how to act.

It will not work and the messaging needs a change of tack right away.
Oh FFS If herd immunity wasn't real, vacination wouldn't work!
Vaccination is the safest way to reach herd immunity. Isolating and infecting those who are unlikeky to die or become seriously ill is another way. Nowhere near as safe as vaccination but a vaccine is at least 6 months away and the destruction of our economy will kill many many people.
Tough decisions need to be made.

I agree that messaging needs to be far far better and targeted though.

So unless we get herd immunity by infection or vaccination how on earth are we going to get out of this mess?
The death rate for our youth and people under 30 is far less risky than a combination of risks that people take everyday.

i recall a channel 4 interview back in early feb/march with a Scientist

he said, the best way would be to move anyone the age over 60 or something to one part of the country and the rest go about business as usual - i thought it was laughable at the time but looking back...

Vaccination is the safest way to reach herd immunity. Isolating and infecting those who are unlikeky to die or become seriously ill is another way. Nowhere near as safe as vaccination but a vaccine is at least 6 months away and the destruction of our economy will kill many many people.

Thats not the case.. It depends on how well we develop an immunity to this exact strain. In that debate we know very little, even to the point where herd immunity wont protect us from the seasonal flu. A vaccine is specificaly developed to trigger the highest immune response possible. Herd immunity and a vaccinated immunity are two very different things. in effect if they are the same thing, flu would be almost wiped out by now ?

Of 486 infections in Scotland recorded today, age ranges as follows

40 in people over 65
20 in children under 14
155 in teenagers 15-19
All the rest in 20-64 year range.

It comes to something when even those engaged, intelligent and keen to comply are utterly confused about what is/is not allowed. What on earth hope does the government have of getting those people less engaged and intelligent to comply, when they have no clue what to comply with.

The messaging and all this shite about bubbles (for example) has been a complete omni-shambles. We should - IMO - have had a much simpler, much more draconian set of measures, introduced much sooner and as a result, relaxed much sooner. And then reintroduced on a similar basis as needed.

I think part of the problem is that a politician with a grasp of basic maths/science is as rare as hens teeth, so unqualified idiots are left to make policy decisions on subjects about which they have no understanding.

Of course I know that. Should have been clearer, sorry. I meant realistic - in the sense of the concept of balancing risk v reward by engineering it within society as a strategy to resolve the pandemic this winter given the mutiple questions about how much is needed and how long for and even if sufficient immunity would ever result from catching it. Not to mention the inevitable deaths doing this would cause.

The 23 England hospital deaths by the way were all aged between 69 and 96 and all had known previous underlying conditions.

Last edited:
6178 new cases today!!!

This is ecalating faster and surely now a real problem .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.