COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up 10 deaths and down 4230 cases in a week is progress for sure.

Wonder if the media will sell it as that.
Tbf to Sky they have just reported it in that vein particularly with the average R number falling to just below one.
I still share the same beef as @kaz7 that just because death is a lagging indicator it is wrong to hardly comment on the tragedy of the current levels of deaths around 500 a day.

The ongoing mask disputes here pale into insignificant into what's happening in the Canaries.

People at risk who cannot use a mask:
- Prohibited to attend mass events and acts.
- Prohibited to go to any place where other members of the public may be.
- Prohibited to use public transport.

In other words the poor buggers are home imprisoned.

Up 10 deaths and down 4230 cases in a week is progress for sure.

Wonder if the media will sell it as that.

Presumably until we get a vaccine roll out, case numbers will drop when restrictions tighten as they have been doing and then rise again when the restrictions are loosened. Let’s hope they sort the vaccine as soon as possible. I felt completely safe in the summer with less than 10 cases some weeks in Warrington. That went to 900 a few weeks ago not much more than 6 weeks after being low double figures.

From the FT:

The UK has managed an almost unique double, to suffer both nearly the highest death rate in the world *and* the worst economic damage.

I don't think it's really understood just how catastrophic our response has been.

View attachment 5901

I'm sure the usual tory/johnson apologists on here all jumped to the defence of this? Or did they say nowt and move on?

Cold as feck down here last couple of evenings. Stay warm.

-Cold air can inhibit the immune system. The blood vessels contract, and fewer white blood cells are present in your nose and throat to fight viruses and other infections at the source.
-SAGE have 4 degrees C as a sweet spot for the spread of Corona.
-Traditional flu is much more prevalent in the cold weather, and you certainly do not want to end up with both diseases.

And vitamin D levels drop as we get less exposure to sunlight. If you haven't already thought about a vitamin D supplement, it's a good time to do so.

I'm sure the usual tory/johnson apologists on here all jumped to the defence of this? Or did they say nowt and move on?

You can't just blame the tories, labour would've responded in the same manner I believe as they are singing from the same hymn sheet. Major political overhaul needed! Sorry that shuold possibly be on another thread.

Indeed, we need to have the discussion to the point you raised in a years time, when this is all going on most likely! When small businesses are either crippled or gone, when mental health is a serious social problem, and the nation is angry and on the verge of exploding ( if it hasn't already ) If all this happens, there will still be some calling on the next lockdown.

On another note, can somoene explain to me why London is considered tier 2 and most of the north is tier 3? And why does the tier system start at medium risk and not low risk, in my life I've never seen a scale like this not start at low.
Because as explained yesterday, there are 5 criteria that are considered to determine which category an area falls within.

Also explained yesterday was having an area described as low risk sends totally the wrong message.

Tbf to Sky they have just reported it in that vein particularly with the average R number falling to just below one.
I still share the same beef as @kaz7 that just because death is a lagging indicator it is wrong to hardly comment on the tragedy of the current levels of deaths around 500 a day.
That is good to know. And I certainly do not minimise the death numbers. Far from it. I have pointed out already today we are at risk of having a new date with a peak in England hospital deaths this week.

Also that whilst they are slowing they are not falling. But there is really nothing we can do about them except hope that the reduction in cases is going to see them fall in the coming two or three weeks.

They do hit home when someone you know is one of these numbers. And if you have vulnerable relatives. I know that first hand. I just prefer to fear the worst and hope for the best and not focus on things we cannot change but look to those that maybe we can.

Being happy that they are not escalating is not minimising the ones that do occur daily. It is looking on the positive side and seeking good news to focus on as we all need that to get through the coming weeks with that man with a scythe frankly hanging over all of our heads.

It is human nature to seek distraction and not dwell on what we all know is a terrible toll. But rather than speak that truth everyday to seek rays of light that might see it peak and then fall.

You can't just blame the tories, labour would've responded in the same manner I believe as they are singing from the same hymn sheet.
They would have been advised by the same people too. The only difference possible is to react quicker, bur system of government largely restricts that, by everything having to go through parliament first.

It's not what I read last night on the BBC's "What Tier will I be in" has it changed ? or are they just clueless like in football ?
Clueless.

They put the map of England on the six o'clock news last night. According to that I'm in tier 2 rather tier 3 that I'm actually in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.