COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also don’t have the time or sanity to create accounts and translate all the potentially relevant messages. And how would non-mandarin speakers know what was potentially relevant or if the translations were accurate or meaningful?

But I have tried to source as much information from non-western media and China-based sources as is reasonably possible (some of it is also fairly dubious) and have talked to a few colleagues living in China — to be honest, they don’t paint a particularly good picture of what is happening there and much of the distrust originates with the Chinese people. Though, I do agree, western media does tend to amplify it in standard coverage.

Better to be respectful of the people actually going through this and hear what mandarin speakers actually is telling you rather than sensationalistic western coverage if you dun understand the language or cannot read original sources is my advice. Other than that I dun know what else to tell you.

Better to be respectful of the people actually going through this and hear what mandarin speakers actually is telling you rather than sensationalistic western coverage if you dun understand the language or cannot read original sources is my advice. Other than that I dun know what else to tell you.
That is what many are trying our best to do.

Looks like that curise ship is upto 218 cases.

while thats a horrific situation to be in, from a data point of view I bet its invaluable to have a control group like that.

Yeah that's gonna be impossible cuz all the info have been on weibo and the online sites from day one. Translating them would be a crazy and time consuming endeavor which I have neither the sanity or the time to do so. My suggestion is just create a Weibo account and Google translate any random postings or messages there you feel may make you better understand the situation in china now.

Or even hear what other westerners actually living there has to say rather than depend sorely on western media reports hyping up the distrust of China. Other than that I dun know, there really is not much point
There have been numerous videos from locals in China that paint a picture of distrust towards the Chinese government. I can’t agree that it is merely Western media. People in China are fearful, angry, lacking trust.

Looks like that curise ship is upto 218 cases.

while thats a horrific situation to be in, from a data point of view I bet its invaluable to have a control group like that.
It could be very helpful. Let’s just hope it is not in any way intentional.

There have been numerous videos from locals in China that paint a picture of distrust towards the Chinese government. I can’t agree that it is merely Western media. People in China are fearful, angry, lacking trust.

i used to work with a chinese guy for many years and from what he has told me you are correct ,even without this virus there was distrust against the government,simple things like sitting in a cafe discusing politics you just dont do,these topics stay in your mind and its better to keep them there or one day you will just disapear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.