COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me why they have left the schools open but to enforce social distancing, advising people not to go to pubs and restaurants etc. Isn't it highly possible that kids can get it and then bring it home?

I'm seriously thinking about pulling my boys out of school immediately.

There is a clear logic, whether or not you agree with it.

First, on a scale of 1-10, the importance of attending school is rated higher than going for a pint or a curry.

Second, if schools are shut, lots of health workers with kids will have to stay off work to look after them.

Third, looking after kids will fall in many cases to grandparents, who are in the higher risk group.

I am finding it really interesting to look at data on the countries who are past the worst, such as China and South Korea. This is a fantastic resource for doing this:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
If you click on individual countries you get a further breakdown. The "Daily new case graph" is interesting.

Here's a thing with China: it has a population of 1.435 billion and 99.994% of the population didn't get the virus. The % of the population who didn't die of it, is even higher.

The problem with that is they either have to remain in lock down permanently or there will be more big flair ups followed by provincial lock downs all year.

It seems like the government’s putting the responsibility onto the public for closing down the pubs and restaurants, rather than taking the responsibility themselves.

My wife has a compromised immune system. Sometime ago we booked a Mother’s Day meal at a pub/restaurant with our daughter and grandkids. We need to cancel it. My wife knows we need to cancel it. But she’s dithering “but what if they go bust?”. If we shouldn’t go to pubs or restaurant then ban them and provide some financial support.

I am finding it really interesting to look at data on the countries who are past the worst, such as China and South Korea. This is a fantastic resource for doing this:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
If you click on individual countries you get a further breakdown. The "Daily new case graph" is interesting.

Here's a thing with China: it has a population of 1.435 billion and 99.994% of the population didn't get the virus. The % of the population who didn't die of it, is even higher.

they might not be past the worst at all though. If another person gets infected in another region in China it could spread like wild fire

Undoubtedly they will be enforced if enough people don’t take heed. Besides, the number ignoring the advice, and the number of pubs and flea pits staying open, will naturally dwindle very quickly.

Personally I prefer to be asked first rather than dictated to.

Put it this way, following the announcement my local pub has put out on Facebook their measures to ensure safety. Basically business as usual, piss heads will still go and pubs will stay open as it’s their income at the end of the day. Only when it’s enforced will we see the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.