COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that vaccine(s) will drive down the number of Covid cases and the serious harm the virus is doing to people within the next few months.

That's my point, if it doesn't stop transmission (which JVT has just said we don't know yet) then presumably under the current way of measuring cases it may not reduce them even if it does stop people getting ill as a result of covid? It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a concern - no mention of collusion.

Assuming the new vaccine which is to be given in stages to the population of the UK [if there is enough to go around and if it is effective], then when can we ditch the face masks? Will it be a kept instruction until the last person is injected or will masks remain a legal requirement for those people at the back end of the queue only?
I’m guessing but imagine face coverings will be mandatory for a few more months. The vaccination programme will take some time and, even then, none of the vaccines are 100% effective. We don’t know what the uptake will be either. No doubt there will be a significant minority of conspiracy theorists and other doubters and it would appear that the government won’t use coercionary tactics.

The authorities will no doubt monitor progress closely and take a pragmatic decision based on case numbers, infection rates and other data.

It’s no big deal to wear them in the meantime and err on the cautious side IMO. This has been a bastard and we shouldn’t get complacent.

GM % of NW total rises today to 47% after reaching a low point yesterday.

807 cases today - up from 731 yesterday.

Not a big increase given the cases increase for the UK.

Wigan back over 100 but 5 boroughs up and 5 are actually lower today than yesterday.

And as expected the BBC on their coverage of the 5 pm Boris conference on live mention the big rise in cases but no mention of the massive jump in testing that means there were fewer positive tests today than yesterday. Which deserves at least a mention.
The bbc do anything to put a negative spin on things. Poor jounalism when the country needs considered inteligent positive reporting.

England hospital data also updated over 2 days.

Patients down from 12, 825 to 12, 609. It was 13, 587 a week ago so fallen almost 1000 in seven days.

Ventilators down from 1241 to 1185. It was 1306 a week ago so fallen 121 in a week.

These are very promising added reasons to be hopeful.

Though what happens now we are out of lockdown and into tiers is hard to judge before Christmas where it is all but impossible not to see a spike happening.

I think it would help everyone’s sanity if they just assume that deaths will stay high until late spring, primarily because that’s what always happens every winter and whilst deaths ‘with covid particles present’ are being tracked rather than deaths caused directly by covid, it is inevitable deaths will remain high imo.

Even once vulnerable people are vaccinated, they could quite easily die of something else but still be recorded as a covid death. Cue mass hysteria from the media throwing doubt on the vaccines.

PS - I am pro-vaccine but can see the above coming a mile off because the media are living off the hysteria and will struggle to let it all go.

I read a while ago that the 2nd wave is likely to be worse than the first wave with regard to the overall number of deaths, although it said that the numbers would be lower but over a longer period. I have kept this in mind over the last 5 or 6 weeks and it seems to ring true so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.