Cowboys & indians

Just had a chat with my 10 year old grandson who had no idea who/ what cowboys and Indians were. You could put this down to a generational thing, not being taught US history and not watching old westerns on the telly. I just found it amazing he didn’t know, so being a film fan, here’s a question. What 5 films would you choose to teach him about cowboys & Indians?

I notice that a lot of the films being recommended are more grown up ones, and often ones which were a bit more balanced, but probably not ones which would get 10 year olds kids playing games. I'm pretty sure there was little legitimate US history in the 'cowboys and indians' stories we watched as kids.

It was likely mostly from the Saturday morning shows, or B movies, with the cartoonish, stereotypical, white man good, brown man bad, where half the 'indians' were guys with tans, or white actors in make-up anyway. If your grandson started copying the dialogue of the Native Americans in these shows, it's likely even other ten year olds would have a word.

Let him play Red Dead Redemption 2 when he's a bit older, and watch some of the classics mentioned - but at 10, just be happy he's still playing Cops and Robbers :)

I’d recommend the ‘Lonesome Dove’ series, I guess he might be too young foe that but Larry McMurtry has written extensively on the history of (at least) the west, both factual and history based fiction

If your grandson is an enjoyer of academic podcasts (you never know) The Rest is History just did a great multi part series on the lead up to the Battle of the Little Bighorn including a deep dive on some of the main players in the story, Custer, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull.

I’ve never been that interested in this part of history but I thought it was great and captured a lot of the nuances which often get lost due to the emotive nature of the subject matter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.