CPR don’t be afraid to have a go

Imo you are not doing it very well if you break ribs but this is how i was trained

Clearly the intention isnt to break ribs,and you definitely dont have to.....but such a consequence is ensuring enough force is applied.Much rather that than pussying about through fear.
Only those like yourself who are experienced and confident will know exactly the effective pressure required.

Difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest that you do cpr for .

Denmark team doctor Morten Boesen told a news conference that tests on the player "so far look fine", adding that Eriksen "was gone" before resuscitation efforts began.

Mr Boesen added: "How close were we? I don't know. We got him back after one defib, so that's quite fast."

"We don't have any explanation why it happened. The details about what happened I am not quite sure of because I am not a cardiologist, I will leave that to the experts. I didn't see it live, only on screens afterwards."

A cardiac arrest occurs when the heart stops completely, rendering the person unconscious, according to the British Heart Foundation. A heart attack is a condition that slows down blood circulation, that the patient is likely awake for
My diabetic consultant told me the difference between a cardiac arrest and heart attack is, quite simply, the difference between electrics and plumbing.
A cardiac arrest (CA) is when the electrical impulse between the top valve of the heart and the bottom is interrupted, so the heart stops.
A heart attack (Myocardial Infarction, or MI) happens when the arteries get clogged up, and blood can't get through to the heart, so the heart stops.
Electrics and Plumbing.
This is obviously a very simplified explanation,and he no doubt dumbed it down so I could understand it!
The reason I mention this is that I had a very mild MI in 1997 (4 days before Diana died) - I was back playing squash 4 months later, and a CA 4 years ago. The MI prompted me to become a First Aider, so I could at least help out in an emergency. Both my wife and youngest daughter had to have a paediatric First Aid certificate, as part of Ofsted registration - my wife was a childminder and my daughter a nanny.
Apart from Resus Annie (the dummy you train on), I have only ever tried CPR for real on one occasion. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, and the person died.
That person was my wife.
A friend of mine used to be the senior Sister on the Cardiology ward at MRI, and told me that there was nothing I could have done when she saw the post mortem report, and if she had collapsed on the ward, they could have done nothing either. Small comfort, I know, but the main point is that I tried.
She also told me that you can't do a proper CPR unless you crack a few ribs - I know I was sore for a few weeks after the paramedics did their magic on me.
I encourage anyone to learn basic First Aid - you never know, you may save a life one day.

My diabetic consultant told me the difference between a cardiac arrest and heart attack is, quite simply, the difference between electrics and plumbing.
A cardiac arrest (CA) is when the electrical impulse between the top valve of the heart and the bottom is interrupted, so the heart stops.
A heart attack (Myocardial Infarction, or MI) happens when the arteries get clogged up, and blood can't get through to the heart, so the heart stops.
Electrics and Plumbing.
This is obviously a very simplified explanation,and he no doubt dumbed it down so I could understand it!
The reason I mention this is that I had a very mild MI in 1997 (4 days before Diana died) - I was back playing squash 4 months later, and a CA 4 years ago. The MI prompted me to become a First Aider, so I could at least help out in an emergency. Both my wife and youngest daughter had to have a paediatric First Aid certificate, as part of Ofsted registration - my wife was a childminder and my daughter a nanny.
Apart from Resus Annie (the dummy you train on), I have only ever tried CPR for real on one occasion. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, and the person died.
That person was my wife.
A friend of mine used to be the senior Sister on the Cardiology ward at MRI, and told me that there was nothing I could have done when she saw the post mortem report, and if she had collapsed on the ward, they could have done nothing either. Small comfort, I know, but the main point is that I tried.
She also told me that you can't do a proper CPR unless you crack a few ribs - I know I was sore for a few weeks after the paramedics did their magic on me.
I encourage anyone to learn basic First Aid - you never know, you may save a life one day.
Really sorry about your wife , bless you for trying , sadly there are those who cant be saved . The public need not worry about breaking ribs , better to try than not

Years ago now I was fishing when a bloke walking behind me did exactly the same as Eriksen did yesterday, ie, stumbled a couple of steps and then just fell to the ground.

Immediately obvious he'd had a heart attack so I started CPR. I'd been trained to do it but this was the first time I'd done it on a person. The 'creaking' of the ribs was a scary thing that I wish I'd been made aware of in the training.

I was doing CPR and rescue breaths for about 10 mins or so and was absolutely exhausted. Must have been doing on OK job as when the paramedics turned up they told me to carry on until they were ready.

Sadly the guy didn't make it but I'm glad I have it a go.

About a month later we held a match to raise some funds for his Mrs. I only went and won it which was a pretty popular victory all round. His Mrs presented me with my prize and she said she'd always be grateful for me giving it a go.

had many refresher courses using a dummy, getting into a rhythm became second nature. When a work-mate keeled over near me, i got on the radio to bring the defib pack and prepared to start the cpr, until it dawned on me his heart was still beating. A second later the defib machine arrived, and i stepped back as a more experienced bloke took over. I assumed it was a heart attack, but turned out to be a collapsed lung. The lad made a complete recovery, and i thanked my lucky stars i hadn't finished him off.....thing is my training had been one-track, pre-conditioned to expect a stopped heart, and it's not always the case.

If I may add my two pennorth to this thread.
Please do basic first aid training.
My son saved his sisters life last week when she was choking on a piece of watermelon.
luckily he had done a first aid course and knew the Heimlich manoeuvre.
It took several attempts and my daughter was turning blue and choking to death before the watermelon finally came up.

I’ve worked in a few prisons, the last one being scrubs in London. While I was there I got some funding to start teaching the prisoners basic life support during the induction phase. My rational was, by giving them a important skill that could save someone it may in the long run have an impact on the public’s perception of prisoners. If upon release they found themselves in a position to help someone. The other reason being it’s a valuable skill for those who live chaotic lives. The prisoners and staff were completely supportive but the regime at the time was lock up most days due to staff shortages. It was almost impossible to complete the three day course I devised. The pilot fizzled out due to not being able to get enough data to convince the governor it was worth the effort. Unfortunately I moved on and have not returned to prisons but it’s an idea I’d like to pursue again at some point.

I retired a few years ago from my cabin crew job, I don't think I will ever forget my fantastic first aid training.

Delete that! Horrendous post. Someone could decide to not save a life because of reading that! Scaremongering.

Umm no... It's an obvious dilemma in these times that it has to be addressed.

Googling it and apparently it's a common question at first aid courses even in the UK.

But thankfully the answer does seem to be that although people have tried, no one has successfully sued someone for trying.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.