Crazy decisions of years gone by.

This one?
pieinthesky_stadium.jpg

That's it! I remember thinking wow we are now going to be a superpower in football! Like everything else at the time it all turned out to be hot air and false promises. New fan's wonder why we can't relax until we are 3-0 up with five minutes to go......35 years of let downs, false promises like this and failure is why!

That's it! I remember thinking wow we are now going to be a superpower in football! Like everything else at the time it all turned out to be hot air and false promises. New fan's wonder why we can't relax until we are 3-0 up with five minutes to go......35 years of let downs, false promises like this and failure is why!
Suppose they did actually do the first part as planned, i.e. the Kippax, but following the pattern of the previous years we then got the Platt Lane fiasco which was a scaled back version of this (to put it kindly).

As you say, hadn't we already seen this with the Main Stand roof debacle? That would have seen the North Stand roof wrapped around and (i think) executive boxes hanging from beneath the 'revolutionary' new main stand roof. Never completed.
All beyond the skills of the small time businessmen of the time.

What could have been?

Suppose they did actually do the first part as planned, i.e. the Kippax, but following the pattern of the previous years we then got the Platt Lane fiasco which was a scaled back version of this (to put it kindly).

As you say, hadn't we already seen this with the Main Stand roof debacle? That would have seen the North Stand roof wrapped around and (i think) executive boxes hanging from beneath the 'revolutionary' new main stand roof. Never completed.
All beyond the skills of the small time businessmen of the time.

What could have been?

That was our lot at the time, all smoke and mirrors and false dawn's.

Nah, I’m rather fond of Silva, Aguero and Toure who still here from that time.

Getting rid of Mancini was entirely the right decision.

I'm fond of them too. Which backs up my point.

Getting rid of Mancini ultimately stunted our progress and sent us backwards, leaving us with a squad full of deadwood, meaning Guardiola's first season was a false start as we needed a complete rebuild.

Getting rid of Mancini and appointing Pellegrini was entirely the wrong decision, there's no question about that.

He did but I felt he was too quick to dispense with some fantastic players that had already proven themselves against prem teams in the cups the season before

Nope. The same players that forced out Mancini also weren't too fond of Pellegrini. And that's from the horses mouth, so name drop all you want, you won't change the fact that it's true.

City should have backed the manager the first time and fucked off the billy big bollocks players who undermined him. All of them. No matter who they were. And don't even try to tell me that "all of the players wanted him out" because I know for a fact that's not true, and not even close to being true.

If we'd have bought Van Persie, Hazard and DeRossi in summer 2012, as Mancini wanted, we'd have dominated English, and likely European football for the following 3 years. Yes we'd have failed FFP, and ended up with what? A suspended £50m fine and squad restrictions? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That sacking stunted the progress of the club, no question about it. Yes Pellegrini won the league with Mancini's team. But look at the absolute shite he left behind and how far backwards he took us. It's been a 3 year rebuilding job to undo the shit he foisted upon us.

Not a single player remains from who Pellegrini asked the club to bring in. That tells you all you need to know.

Your post indicates why it was probably sensible to let Mancini go.
He required three expensive new players plus replacing those who didn't get on with him at a time when FFP was beginning to bite and we didn't know in what form it would take. Punishments for inadvertently falling foul of the rules and openly flouting them were likely to have been very different. Having a divisive manager that was unable to get out of the opening group games would not have helped.

I don't know who Pellegrini wanted and who he didn't He certainly appeared quite happy to use De Bruyne and Sterling. Fernandinho was from the very beginning of his era.
The players who were most obviously his because they had played with him before Demichelis and Caballero were both decent buys. The one player who we were clearly linked with but couldn't land Isco is a player I would rather have than any of Mancini's unsuccessful buys.

I am not anti Boby Manc and am grateful for his time with us and was not seeking his sacking at the time. But looking back I can't now say I think it was the wrong decision he looks more like a Mourinho style manager who is pretty good at shaking up a club but is just to confrontational in all his dealings to be a long term success anywhere.

Not keeping van beuten did my head in at the time...class act

Pretty sure we would of kept him if we could have afforded to do so.

He got badly injured as well in his last game for us but again we couldn't afford the asking fee (LOL).

Seems funny now but that's how it was with the likes of Bernstein and Lee and Swales before him keeping us from the administrators.

We were a poorly run club for many years financially speaking.

A prime example was buying Daley and selling him to the US for less than 20 per cent of what we paid for him in less than 12 months at the club.

In those days the way we run as a club those types of mistakes on the buying and selling front crippled clubs like City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.