******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ********The Winter Ashes********

I wrote a post at the end of the last series voicing my concerns about our batting line up. It's the elephant in the room everyone was ignoring because the bowlers were digging us out of trouble game after game.

Cook can be brilliant but has been god awful for the last year.

Trott seems to have gone as a player. Looks half the player he was when he was dominating the number 3 position few years back.

Prior has been poor for a while as well and probably time to look for a new keeper.

Root I'm not sure about. He may come good or he might just not be able to make the step up.

Pietersen seems to have become a very hot and cold player. He just doesn't do it consistantly but would have him in the team because when he's in form he's a game winner.

Obviously it's too late to address this issue now but after this series we really need to look at blooding some young promising batsman to replace the ones that are fading. We can't rely on the bowlers to bowl the aussies out AND score the runs for us too.

Said yesterday evening that we let them off the hook when we had them at 132-6 on the first day. If we had skittled them out for 200, we'd still be in with a chance of a win, albeit a slim chance. Now? The book with the steps for the rain dance is being taken out of the bookcase.

I can't even be bothered to talk about that batting performance, I would rather rant at Jonathon Agnew. In his column he says 'I hope the umpires keeps the number of short balls under control'. What a big load of bollocks. It's the Ashes, in Australia with England going for four series victories on the trot. The Aussies have come at us hard and we need to stand up to it or fuck off home. I never heard anyone moaning in the mid 2000's when we were blasting teams out with Harmison, Flintoff and Jones. It's test cricket, grow a pair and wear a chest guard you bunch of pussies.

Football style rant over

I think there have been mistakes in selection, England should have all out pace for our 3rd pace bowler, Stuart Meaker, Tymal Mills, Chris Jordan etc. 2) why is Johnny Bairstow even in the squad??? he is the cricketing equivalent of Tom Cleverly. 3) Matt Prior should have been dropped because of his poor form and either Craig Kieswetter or Jos Buttler should replace him. 4) i think Trott is also lucky to be in that starting XI, his form has been poor and the short ball has found him.

Obviously it is only very, very early in to the series but this is what i thought when the squad was announced, there are too many that are in the squad on past form, not current.

jay_mcfc said:
I can't even be bothered to talk about that batting performance, I would rather rant at Jonathon Agnew. In his column he says 'I hope the umpires keeps the number of short balls under control'. What a big load of bollocks. It's the Ashes, in Australia with England going for four series victories on the trot. The Aussies have come at us hard and we need to stand up to it or fuck off home. I never heard anyone moaning in the mid 2000's when we were blasting teams out with Harmison, Flintoff and Jones. It's test cricket, grow a pair and wear a chest guard you bunch of pussies.

Football style rant over

I do find it ridiculous like yesterday for example when Johnson was bouncing it miles over the batsman's head, it should be called a wide.

Ell-ano said:
I think there have been mistakes in selection, England should have all out pace for our 3rd pace bowler, Stuart Meaker, Tymal Mills, Chris Jordan etc. 2) why is Johnny Bairstow even in the squad??? he is the cricketing equivalent of Tom Cleverly. 3) Matt Prior should have been dropped because of his poor form and either Craig Kieswetter or Jos Buttler should replace him. 4) i think Trott is also lucky to be in that starting XI, his form has been poor and the short ball has found him.

Obviously it is only very, very early in to the series but this is what i thought when the squad was announced, there are too many that are in the squad on past form, not current.

1- This is no place for a debutant and in Tremlett, Finn and Rankin we are plenty good enough in the bowling department.

2- What has Bairstow got to do with anything? He is a good player, has experience and can keep wicket.

3- So one bad series and you drop a player that has been fantastic for England?

4- See above. But yes he sure does have to iron out his problem with the short ball or else his England career won't last too much longer. You could say the same about Carberry too after the way they got him out. He's going to be peppered with the short ball a hell of a lot now.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I do find it ridiculous like yesterday for example when Johnson was bouncing it miles over the batsman's head, it should be called a wide.

That is different, that should be called be called a wide. I'm more interested in the tarts worrying about being hit by the ball

jay_mcfc said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

That is different, that should be called be called a wide. I'm more interested in the tarts worrying about being hit by the ball

Where's Brian Close when you need him?

Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I think the England batting line-up is pretty average. Cook, KP and Bell are the only ones I rate. As people have said, Cook is out of form atm which is putting pressure on the rest of your batsmen. If I'm honest, other than a couple of innings, I've never seen Cook bat well against Australia. Again, as others have said, KP is too hot and cold. On his day he can win a match on his own but unfortunately (for you) he hasn't been consistent enough lately. I never rated Bell until last series. I think he is a major factor this series. I find him such a stubborn player....he rarely gives his wicket away easily. He plays like he did last series and I think you've got a good chance of winning the series.

Fortunately for you lot, I feel the same way about our batting line-up. Other than Clarke and (possibly) Warner, I don't rate us very highly. The rest of the batting line-up have great records domestically and in ODI's but test cricket (especially The Ashes) is a completely different ball game.

The key factor this series will be keeping the 3 best bowlers form each team fit. Harris, Siddle, Johnson for us. Anderson, Broad, Swann for you. The team who can keep these bowlers fit and get a decent score from 1 or 2 batsmen each innings will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.