******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
tidyman said:
neel said:
Any IPL followers?????

You're in India aren't you?

Out interest, do people have any affinity to these teams or is it just a case of a chance to watch some top players in action?

I can't imagine if a new team just popped up round my way and the players were picked by auction each year, I could really be that arsed about them either way.

I might well go and watch because I like cricket but I can't really imagine supporting anyone in particular.
Emotions and attachment is not a strong as we have in football....people do fave their favorite teams, but thats just for fun and having bragging rights....If IPL is managed better it could help popularise sport....btw yesterdays 96 by Maxwell was one of brutal knocks i ave seen in IPL

RandomJ said:
I'm glad it isn't Giles but Peter Moore is hardly the top bracket of coach we could have got to get us back to the number 1 spot is he?
I think he will do well,he got no chance whatsoever last time especially with certain individuals making his job hard
I really think we would of gone to the level of Bangladesh had Giles got the gig.

The cookie monster said:
RandomJ said:
I'm glad it isn't Giles but Peter Moore is hardly the top bracket of coach we could have got to get us back to the number 1 spot is he?
I think he will do well,he got no chance whatsoever last time especially with certain individuals making his job hard
I really think we would of gone to the level of Bangladesh had Giles got the gig.

I agree with this - Moores last tenure was mired in the Kevin Pietersen saga, to the exclusion of pretty much everything else.
The dressing room was divided, and it showed in performances.
He did a half decent job with Lancs, and to be fair there is hardly an abundance of strong candidates knocking at the MCC's door brandishing glowing CV's.
Giles was utterly ineffective - I met him once at a sportsmen's do and he was a lovely, funny bloke, but simply wasn't up to this gig.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Giles was utterly ineffective - I met him once at a sportsmen's do and he was a lovely, funny bloke, but simply wasn't up to this gig.

Sounds like Giles the bowler too.

I'm just bored and completely underwhelmed by all of this. Moores doesn't excite me, Cook doesn't excite me and the ECB strike me as an organisation going backwards. The England cricket job is probably the best in world cricket and if Moores is the best we can get then I fear that that is a sad indictment of where we're at.

The only positive for me is the emergence of Moeen, Root and Robson. These are three batsmen I very much look forward to watching but the rest of it is all a bit meh.

PS how wonderful of past captains to 'accommodate' KP, the best England batsman of his generation. He seemed to imply that Cook is not big enough or strong enough to captain KP. I fear Cook has had too much say too soon for a captain coming off a 5-0 defeat. Now he's lost half of the players that got England so much success over the years I think Cook has backed himself into a corner that he will struggle to get out of. Sri Lanka are not the best test team at the moment especially in English type conditions but this England team is in a mess and they will get worse before they get better. Any idea on prices for a Sri Lanka/India double over the summer?

The cookie monster said:
RandomJ said:

I agree with this - Moores last tenure was mired in the Kevin Pietersen saga, to the exclusion of pretty much everything else.
He did a half decent job with Lancs, and to be fair there is hardly an abundance of strong candidates knocking at the MCC's door brandishing glowing CV's.

He did an extraordinary job at Lancs, managing to do something right for once (win the league) only to get them relegated the following season.

His England record was also mediocre at best, and he didn't resolve issues Lancs fans have had for years with their team in all the time he was there.

He doesn't deserve a second chance, he was rightly sacked first time round and he's there to be the ultimate yes man imo.

Moores really going to improve England's batting? If Lancs or his previous reign is anything to go by...

Moores had little resources at Lancashire but had high win percentages in 20 and 40 over games, and batting, bowling and fielding all seemed to improve.

He seemed ahead of the game on rotating bowlers so the batsman could not settle, and it was visible that there was competition and pride when fielding.

He will be a big loss for Lancashire, and probably the best man for the job given the pull of the IPL.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The cookie monster said:

He did an extraordinary job at Lancs, managing to do something right for once (win the league) only to get them relegated the following season.

His England record was also mediocre at best, and he didn't resolve issues Lancs fans have had for years with their team in all the time he was there.

He doesn't deserve a second chance, he was rightly sacked first time round and he's there to be the ultimate yes man imo.

Moores really going to improve England's batting? If Lancs or his previous reign is anything to go by...

Thats pretty harsh TBH, he did a great job with the players we had (especially the batting). How is he meant to improve it when it was clear that more or less every county in the top division had better players, yet he still managed to win the league with us. I wish him the best and think he will do a great job with out the KP distraction this time.

Bluemoonie92 said:
Thats pretty harsh TBH, he did a great job with the players we had (especially the batting). How is he meant to improve it when it was clear that more or less every county in the top division had better players, yet he still managed to win the league with us. I wish him the best and think he will do a great job with out the KP distraction this time.

There were plenty of players that didn't like him; Vaughan, KP, Collingwood, Swann etc. They are big players that didn't want him. Maybe with a blooding of youngsters he might do better but he looks like a good county cricket coach that perhaps doesn't have the authority and charisma to do the top job. We shall see, but at this point I'm very meh about the whole of English cricket. They've been an utter shambles for a while now and it's going to be a long time before they're back at no.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.