******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tactic for England's future opponents has to be to make sure England don't bat last. Aside from running out Lees, Root has been excellent and Bairstow superb. Bairstow's measured his innings like it's the middle overs of a one dayer - get in then up the SR.

Think one of these will up the rate tomorrow to try and take the second new ball out of the equation
No need 4.5 is more than enough to do that. That's the benefit of Baz ball I suppose. A more traditional approach would see us needing 200 + tomorrow with the 2nd new ball very much a factor.

Tactic for England's future opponents has to be to make sure England don't bat last. Aside from running out Lees, Root has been excellent and Bairstow superb. Bairstow's measured his innings like it's the middle overs of a one dayer - get in then up the SR.
Apart from the new ball factor, which is important, there's no need to up the run rate. 119 runs needed off a theoretical 90 overs (more likely 80). If the weather doesn't intervene, the game will be over shortly after lunch, at the latest, one way or the other!

Apart from the new ball factor, which is important, there's no need to up the run rate. 119 runs needed off a theoretical 90 overs (more likely 80). If the weather doesn't intervene, the game will be over shortly after lunch, at the latest, one way or the other!

Completely agree, I'd love a serene chase like Root did in the Lord's test. I'd be worried that if one of these go, it's essentially 2 wickets as Stokes will charge Bumrah

Completely agree, I'd love a serene chase like Root did in the Lord's test. I'd be worried that if one of these go, it's essentially 2 wickets as Stokes will charge Bumrah
The longer these two stay together, the better. They're tuned in to that pitch now, it shouldn't hold any fears for them at this stage. Deal with the new ball cautiously when it comes. There's no rush in getting the runs.

This would be truly astonishing if it happens. More than anything England did against the Kiwis (except, maybe the Bairstow ‘demolition’ century). India are not mugs. They are a level above the current NZ side. These two need to keep their eye on the ball tomorrow, see off the first six overs or so to get back in the groove while keeping the run rate ticking over — then let loose.
Whatever the result, something very interesting has happened to English test cricket.

This would be truly astonishing if it happens. More than anything England did against the Kiwis (except, maybe the Bairstow ‘demolition’ century). India are not mugs. They are a level above the current NZ side. These two need to keep their eye on the ball tomorrow, see off the first six overs or so to get back in the groove while keeping the run rate ticking over — then let loose.
Whatever the result, something very interesting has happened to English test cricket.
TBH, I just see it as the modern game. Maybe.... pitches are lasting better? Power hitting is practised more thanks to T20?

Either way (and not that I'm complaining), it seems about five minutes since the last 'astonishing' 'record breaking' run chase was pulled off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.