Cricket Thread

It’s not a test match thread buddy. You carry on ! Love the debate.
On the subject of lovely grounds there is New Road, Worcester when it’s not under water.

I went to school not far from Worcester. On Saturday afternoons, in summer term, after lunch, used to borrow a friend's racing bike and cycle the eight miles through leafy country lanes to Worcester, and watch an afternoon's cricket. A sumptuously beautiful ground, with the cathedral up on the hill overlooking it. If I'm still a bit nostalgic about England, after nearly half a century out, it's because of afternoons like those.
It is right next to the Severn, as you say. On low-lying ground. And the Severn is subject to bursting its banks, especially in winter.

Edit: Wow! had not looked at the score for an hour or two. Last I looked, Windies were cooking nicely at about 50 for no loss of wicket. What in heaven't name happened??

Last edited:
Ah well, ho hum, and here we were talking about an exciting fifth day, and it being good for cricket, and everything…

Honestly, haven't seen the bowling yet (I'll see it on the highlights) and don't want to take anything away from Bashir and Woakes et al, but the Windies really must be an awful batting side. They really flattered to deceive with that first innings.

Ah well, ho hum, and here we were talking about an exciting fifth day, and it being good for cricket, and everything…

Honestly, haven't seen the bowling yet (I'll see it on the highlights) and don't want to take anything away from Bashir and Woakes et al, but the Windies really must be an awful batting side. They really flattered to deceive with that first innings.
Bashir’s wickets were all really good balls and his best ball didn’t actually take a wicket.

None have been terrible dismissals. England have bowled well, although the WI could have put up more of a fight.

I went to school not far from Worcester. On Saturday afternoons, in summer, after lunch, used to borrow a friend's racing bike and cycle the eight miles through leafy country lanes to Worcester, and watch an afternoon's cricket. A sumptuously beautiful ground, with the cathedral up on the hill overlooking it. If I'm still a bit nostalgic about England, after nearly half a century out, it's because of afternoons like those.
Mentioned this before but in his Autobiography Neville Cardus writes about his time as assistant cricket coach at Shrewsbury School just before the First World War; his descriptions of walking across the cricket fields of a summer evening to gather the stumps or of sitting by the river with a book are about as evocative of a bygone England as you can get.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.