Crippled By Control

jay_mcfc

It's not often I wake up still fuming about a football performance these days but last night has really irked me. I know some won't like this because we're seen as babies spitting dummies out etc, feel free to scroll past.

But there was something very different about last night. No energy, no spirit, no desire. I absolutely hate this word and the context it gets used in but we showed no real passion to go and get the win. I remember when Mancini was in charge and if we were drawing in the second half at some point we would throw the kitchen sink at the opposition. He would make subs, move players around and even have 3/4 strikers on the pitch. The desire, effort and quality would always get us over the line. In these past 18 months under Pep we don't have that. If we're drawing after an hour, or god forbid losing, no one has any confidence that we'll do enough to go force a win.

Now don't get me wrong we have lost a lot of quality from the squad. We are bare in positions we were once loaded.

But that doesn't excuse the lack of passion, will to win and all the other intangibles you inevetibly need to progress to get from our current level to the next.

So what's the reason? Well we've had all the excuses. If only we bench Mahrez. If only we had a competent centre back. Wait until our full backs are fit. It's the inverted wingers. It's Jesus. Bla bla bla we could go on forever but the reality is this has been a slow regression for 18 months culminating in performances that are so soulless we have to start looking beyond team selections. There are only so many variations of players and formations you can try.

So my conclusion is that we are crippled by control. The players look like they are worn down playing like they're robots where they are expected to keep possession and position 100% of the time. What happened to our fluidity? I was watching Foden play last night and after a shit first half he began to play well in the second. He was buzzing around, moving laterally and looking to play through balls in tight spaces. What happened? He was hooked off. Can't do that I'm afraid, Mr Foden. We must keep possession at all times. We have become a no risk low reward team. What happened to our intuition? What happened to our players fizzing around and creating chances through their genius? They look hamstrung to me. Devoid of ideas and playing without any fun. In fact they look pained. Pained by control and pained by what happens if they go against what they're told and god forbid give the ball away on the opposition's 18 yard line. They are playing without any expression.

The other side of crippled by control is covid. If we know one thing about Pep it's that he gasses players out after a few years. Covid must multiply this tenfold. Not only are the players controlled by government guidelines as to what they can and cannot do I can only imagine what the club are relaying to them about their responsibilities. Don't go out, don't go to a restaurant, don't take your kids to a park, don't go on holiday etc. I'm sure being a player for Pep there are times when you need a break, to get away and don't think about football. They obviously can't do that.

I know that we're all in the same position with the last part. Life is shit right now and we can't blame Pep or the club for that.

But Pep can help with the control on the field by allowing the players to express themselves. Trust them, they're half decent. Play De Bruyne deeper, lose the double pivot, get an extra attacker on the pitch and start showing the desire to go and win a game. Don't sit around after the game and say only one team wanted to win, we had 20 chances, we controlled the game etc. Trust your defence, this is the best one we've had for a long time with more options than ever. Allow your players to make mistakes in the search to unlocking doors.

Take the shackles off, we have nothing to lose.

It's not often I wake up still fuming about a football performance these days but last night has really irked me. I know some won't like this because we're seen as babies spitting dummies out etc, feel free to scroll past.

But there was something very different about last night. No energy, no spirit, no desire. I absolutely hate this word and the context it gets used in but we showed no real passion to go and get the win. I remember when Mancini was in charge and if we were drawing in the second half at some point we would throw the kitchen sink at the opposition. He would make subs, move players around and even have 3/4 strikers on the pitch. The desire, effort and quality would always get us over the line. In these past 18 months under Pep we don't have that. If we're drawing after an hour, or god forbid losing, no one has any confidence that we'll do enough to go force a win.

Now don't get me wrong we have lost a lot of quality from the squad. We are bare in positions we were once loaded.

But that doesn't excuse the lack of passion, will to win and all the other intangibles you inevetibly need to progress to get from our current level to the next.

So what's the reason? Well we've had all the excuses. If only we bench Mahrez. If only we had a competent centre back. Wait until our full backs are fit. It's the inverted wingers. It's Jesus. Bla bla bla we could go on forever but the reality is this has been a slow regression for 18 months culminating in performances that are so soulless we have to start looking beyond team selections. There are only so many variations of players and formations you can try.

So my conclusion is that we are crippled by control. The players look like they are worn down playing like they're robots where they are expected to keep possession and position 100% of the time. What happened to our fluidity? I was watching Foden play last night and after a shit first half he began to play well in the second. He was buzzing around, moving laterally and looking to play through balls in tight spaces. What happened? He was hooked off. Can't do that I'm afraid, Mr Foden. We must keep possession at all times. We have become a no risk low reward team. What happened to our intuition? What happened to our players fizzing around and creating chances through their genius? They look hamstrung to me. Devoid of ideas and playing without any fun. In fact they look pained. Pained by control and pained by what happens if they go against what they're told and god forbid give the ball away on the opposition's 18 yard line. They are playing without any expression.

The other side of crippled by control is covid. If we know one thing about Pep it's that he gasses players out after a few years. Covid must multiply this tenfold. Not only are the players controlled by government guidelines as to what they can and cannot do I can only imagine what the club are relaying to them about their responsibilities. Don't go out, don't go to a restaurant, don't take your kids to a park, don't go on holiday etc. I'm sure being a player for Pep there are times when you need a break, to get away and don't think about football. They obviously can't do that.

I know that we're all in the same position with the last part. Life is shit right now and we can't blame Pep or the club for that.

But Pep can help with the control on the field by allowing the players to express themselves. Trust them, they're half decent. Play De Bruyne deeper, lose the double pivot, get an extra attacker on the pitch and start showing the desire to go and win a game. Don't sit around after the game and say only one team wanted to win, we had 20 chances, we controlled the game etc. Trust your defence, this is the best one we've had for a long time with more options than ever. Allow your players to make mistakes in the search to unlocking doors.

Excellent post jay & you may just be right but I fear we’ll need to change the manager for this to happen .

Good summary and may I add..
Stop playing 2 CDMs against opposition that put 11 men behind the ball , stop playing inverted wingers , buying a top class striker would solve some of our current issues

Good post.

The reason pep doesn’t play foden at cm is he deems him to lose the ball too often and not defensively strong enough. Foden is best doing quick one twos with players around him and therefore creating space. If he has nobody to link with as he’s stuck out wide it negates his strengths.

Possession and control is key for pep as obviously if we have the ball the opposition can’t break. It’s the new path that pep wants to go down as he obviously didn’t like how open we were.

Pep is a genius but known for being stubborn, now we have this double pivot and look solid there is no way on earth he will accept defeat and change back to the old more expansive style.

Great post - A very interesting take and you maybe onto something. I think we are lacking players with big personalities or those that are a bit maverick - maybe because we now have a younger group, that playing for Pep leaves them afraid to take more risks. I was genuinely excited about our recent signings but as of now we have not seen the best of the team. Perhaps it will come and of course in any competition it's about peaking at the right time - we are certainly capable of going on a big run but with each game the number of missed chances seems to be on the up. I look at how Ferran played for Spain recently and you see a young lad with no fear and bags of confidence - I really hope that he doesn't lose that because he is in awe of the manager and seems more inclined to play the ball back to keep possession and not make a mistake. Despite that he's had a great start with us but you always feel Pep will take him off at any point.

I agree 100% with you about Phil. I thought it was a terrible call to take him off just as he looked most likely to beat a player and do something unexpected. It's human nature to have favourites but the key to Pep getting us back to a free flowing team is by getting the best out of everyone.

Having read a lot about Peps methods des he not say his job is to get them into goal scoring positions and then it’s up to them? I’m not sure control is the problem. He is a very very intense boss though and I can imagine three years plus of it would b3 hard for all but the very strong minded.

I know some won't like this because we're seen as babies spitting dummies out etc, feel free to scroll past.
Balls to that...criticism is very important. Its small time mentality to stand by a team who is not even showing the most basic desire on the pitch and are earning very high wages in doing so. I hate this idea that "to be a fan you have to always back players/staff"...its just nonesense. I get it when someone is just having a downturn in form, like kev, but where do you draw the line when people are showing no basic movement off the ball, no grit, no basic effort??? I keep seeing this from multiple players.

Kev slots the pen and mahrez does the same....totally different picture
Don't you see that we're not playing very well though? And don't you think we were below par last season too? Do you think we will suddenly start playing free flowing attacking football with the same stubborn tactics?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.