Crvena Zvezda (H) | CL | Post Match Thread

You know, playing it back and looking at it coldly and calmly, none of his missed chances were as glaring as Phil's. Phil had the entire goal to aim at, from about four yards, five maximum. The ball came to him at a good height, he was central. He put his header straight at the keeper. And several of Erling's other chances were stopped by a keeper who was either very good, or very lucky (or both at the same time). So they're not really what I'd call misses.
His hold-up and assist for Julián was excellent, too — perfectly weighted. That is a side of his game that has come on leaps and bounds since the beginning of last season.
His misses against West Ham were far more glaring.
I'm not worried about him, and I'm sure you aren't.
I thought he could have done better with a few of them, but that he made the keeper look better than he was. I think I read that he's currently for the first season in his career on fewer goals than xg. But not at all worried. I'd settle for fewer goals if he carries on his link up play, and frankly his goals this season are already silly and I think he'll hit silly form any second.

Agree Foden's was a stinker, really bad.

What has really struck me is how well the new boys have just slotted in so seamlessly

Absolutely this. It's a bit astonishing.
Kun hit the ground running, and looked the part right from that famous Swansea début. So did Kev. But by and large, these have been exceptions. Even players who have gone on to be huge for us — Fern, Zab, now Rodri, I could go on and on — did not initially look totally convincing, necessarily. But these new guys just look so comfortable! Kovacic has particularly impressed me. He looks as though he's been playing in that midfield for years. Gvardiol looks utterly assured. That, I admit, I kind of expected, given the huge reputation he came with, but it's no less gratifying to see it. This lad Doku has just rocked up and is already doing dynamic things out on the wing. Furthermore — I paid close attention to this — he almost never gave the ball away last night. That thing against West Ham seemed to have burned him a bit (by the way, for my money, he didn't really give the ball away, and the goal was in any case the result of several nearly perfect actions by Hammers players after it, not directly “Oh I make a mistake — goal!”). Even Nunes looked supremely confident last night.
It must, I suppose, be down to training, and Pep's coaching. And their own natural ability, of course.
And here's a question. Has Pep actually become a better coach and manager with the years? Is that possible? If you wanted to play devil's advocate, you could, I suppose, argue that he inherited a golden generation with that Barca team. He also inherited the player that many consider to be the best who has played the game. Those were significant advantages that he made the most of. At City it seems to me that he has learnt how to take good players and make them much better. Anyway, it's another question…

First half was a bit of a blue ( travel and being in the Legends lounge) but still thought we were v good
Was really pissed off at losing a goal and the injury but knew we would win.

utterly pish camerawork tonight, keep focussing in on a player when they're running through and we can't see the rest of the players...football coverage is the only sport when they constantly shift away from the pitch

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.