Crystal Palace (A) | Post Match Thread

Every man and his dog saw that result coming from a mile off.

Except, crucially, the bloke in the dugout.

It is perfectly reasonable to criticise the guy when there’s a banana skin so big it’s visible from space and yet he jumps on it with glee.

Mate, we hit the post twice and Bernie missed two chances that he would normally bury. If you saw that coming you must have a crystal ball.

Let me remind you. In the post that you took upon yourself to reply to(weird attitude btw). I said:
"anyone who's been paying attention to both teams these past few weeks,"
So how on earth do you work out there has been 8 Liverpool games in that time? A clear attempt to move the goalposts, if I ever saw one.

That was to say, Arsenal have been looking very good in recent weeks. Liverpool haven't been at their best. I even clarified further by specifically referring to Liverpool's last 3 games. You could go back even further to the League cup final, where I think they were second best and if not for the dodgy offside call, they would have lost that game too. Either way, I think that's arguing semantics, there was nothing wrong with my statement.

For what it's worth, up until the derby, we weren't at our best(by no means poor, just not at our best) but that's neither here nor there(nothing to do with the original comment).

That's completely irrelevant to the point I was making. We are not talking about points, we are talking about how well they are playing. Even a Liverpool fan on here conceded as much(been getting away with it recently), it could be that it's just a temporary dip, just as ours was but you are only as good as your last game.

It was offside and there was no conclusive angle on the handball to begin with either. 3 different angles look to be hitting different places on his arm, showing how difficult it is to pinpoint exactly where the contact was. Performance wise, on the balance of the second half(first half wasn't great from either side), only one team deserved to take points home and it wasn't Everton.

As I've mentioned above and elsewhere, we've had a dip in form, we've also had a few isolated games were we were lucky to get the win(Arsenal funnily enough) before that also. So have Liverpool though, if anything, I'd say Liverpool have got away with their off form performances more than we have and yet... we are still ahead on points and will be even if they win their game in hand. The way you talk, we shouldn't be. Even last night, we totally dominated Crystal Palace, we created plenty of clear chances, as frustrated as I am about the result, I know it would be silly to say we were poor last night.

Lastly, Liverpool having a dip of form, is not mutually exclusive with us not being in amazing form, scoring for fun etc. I never even mentioned our form in the statement about Liverpool's form, so I don't even know why you're making that argument. It was about whether it's logical to expect them to steam roll Arsenal. Maybe they will after all, at their best they are capable of doing that but that doesn't mean they haven't been in a dip of form recently.

Really, I don't see why you're so insistent on shutting it down/triggered by it but there's really no point in discussing it further. Agree to disagree and move on.
You're accusing me of being triggered while taking a day to post an essay lol.

Listen mate, it's done, forget it. I disagree with you, big deal.

If you're right I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

Obviously we have improved significantly since those times.

If ever we are shit again and find ourselves in division 1 then the manager will have to employ tactics necessary to get us points or he’ll be sacked. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again. You can’t play like Pep plays with shit players.
Crystal Palace is a Premier League team, so your point is moot

I agree...if we had Sergio or Torres playing we'd have won that game.

Hopefully we will sign Haaland or a recognised striker, but what frustrates me about this Alvarez deal is thst if we knew he wasn't coming until the summer, at the earliest, why did we let Torres leave??

As for last night's game, we had some great chances and on another day would have won, but the longer it went the more frustrating everyone became.
Pep obviously didn't think Jesus or Sterling could have done any better than all the midfielders on the park and that's worrying...for them!

No one knows if another player off the bench would have done better; we just needed one player to produce a decent finish and it was just as likely that somone already on the pitch would finally get it right.

Foden actually reminded me of Torres in last two games: the number of forward runs he attempted without getting a pass was high. We let him go because that's where his head was at. Prime Sergio was explosive - Torres ain't - and we could do with that kind of striker adding.

i remember in the aguero year us scraping a draw against sunderland that we were deflated about but actually won us the title.today we battered them but missed chance after chance,were still playing good footy we just need our luck to change
Hmmmmmm.

Depends what you mean by good IMO.

Yes, we pass the ball well, dominate possession, press to get it back and the work rate is great. But we are really, really struggling to get an end result.

Perhaps for another thread, but I am more and more realising that we are not missing a Kane or a Haaland, we are missing an Aguero.

We spend 90 minutes of the usual 95 with the oppositions 11 camped in their own half and we rarely have any room in behind to exploit. We fire aimless crosses into our front midgets expecting them to win headers against 6' 4" defenders and after 10 attempts, we try an 11th, wondering why it's not working.

We either change to a "lump it up to the big centre forward" type of team - which of course I do not want - or alternatively we need a "fox in the box" type of striker. Someone who has a natural instinct for goal, who can turn on a sixpence, who can use both feed and can shoot on sight (or unsighted) knowing at all times where the goal is. Someone who can work in tight spaces when the opponents site deep with 11 men behind the ball. In short, we need another Aguero.

He didn’t overthink, his game plan was pretty much spot on and let down only by some abysmal finishing.
I agree (this time) he didn't overthink. What's becoming apparent though is we do not have the necessary tools to unlock well-martialled defences. And whilst we press with increasing frustration/desperation, we are very vulnerable to counter-attacks.

Make no bones about it, if Palace had a bit more quality up-front, we would have lost that game. As we did against Spurs. It will be very interesting to see how we fare against Liverpool.

Totally agree, if Pep has one failing it's his use of subs. We wouldn't have scored if we'd played until midnight last night with that same eleven on the pitch. Why no Delap on the bench as well instead of one of the two keepers which isn't needed, scored two for the eds the other day but Pep is too reluctant to give him any minutes , I don't understand it
If Delap improves his first touch then I guess he will get more game time.

Hmmmmmm.

Depends what you mean by good IMO.

Yes, we pass the ball well, dominate possession, press to get it back and the work rate is great. But we are really, really struggling to get an end result.

Perhaps for another thread, but I am more and more realising that we are not missing a Kane or a Haaland, we are missing an Aguero.

We spend 90 minutes of the usual 95 with the oppositions 11 camped in their own half and we rarely have any room in behind to exploit. We fire aimless crosses into our front midgets expecting them to win headers against 6' 4" defenders and after 10 attempts, we try an 11th, wondering why it's not working.

We either change to a "lump it up to the big centre forward" type of team - which of course I do not want - or alternatively we need a "fox in the box" type of striker. Someone who has a natural instinct for goal, who can turn on a sixpence, who can use both feed and can shoot on sight (or unsighted) knowing at all times where the goal is. Someone who can work in tight spaces when the opponents site deep with 11 men behind the ball. In short, we need another Aguero.
And, isn't that Alvarez, eventually?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.