Crystal Palace (H) - Post-Match Thread

I'll admit to being totally confused by modern day football. My time playing the games and watching City go back to when god still wore short pants and I wore Stanley Matthews style boots. Players were numbered 1-11 and had positions such as inside left, left half etc. Full backs were "banned" from crossing the half-way line and left/right wingers stayed on the line between pitch and car park. Now, False 9, Inverted Wingers, Sweeper-Keeper, Defensive/Attacking midfield, all getting a bit Greek to me. For sure, Pep understands it, probably invented most of it (not sure if some of our players do mind you). When watching on TV, I mute all the talking heads with their Subbuteo screens and just watch and support City.

Unfortunately, plenty of fellow Blues don't know what they're watching or fully appreciate it. Pep is a genius inventor of new ways of playing football - he doesn't do standard - if SM wanted standard he'd have hired a Klopp type coach. Don't get me wrong, Klopp is a brilliant coach, but he does what other coaches have done before albeit better. Pep is a Steve Jobs type figure, like Bowie and the Beatles. There's never been anyone like him and never will be again. Yes, there will be occasions when things don't work - the case with all geniuses - but in Pep's case it's rare. We have to accept it when the attempts to be different don't work - me and a lot of others just hate the Blue Moaning.
This! Without being too 'happy-clappy' a lot of the moaners on here won't know what's hit them when he's gone. I've never seen football like this.....not so consistently anyway. Soak it up. Enjoy it.

I'll take your word for seeing the turn around at our lowest ebb last year - you certainly would be in a minority so kudos for that. But I don't see how it is any different this year. Bernardo and Rodri are at levels well above last year, and Foden has further developed. The only negative is KDB - but who is to say he cannot turn it around? And once Gundogan gets back up to speed, why can't he be an attacking force as he was last year? Seems a lot more likely this time around actually.

Although I am a Palace fan but out of the big boys City are my favourites real fans who have had many ups and downs over the years . I am interested in why Zaha is hated so much by the oppo fans so much grief on message boards . He is not a diver , maybe goes down a little easy if fouled(Doesn,t Grealish) certainly moans a lot . He is an unusual player quite tricky and powerful on the ball . I expect a lot of incoming hope some of it is objective .

It was incredibly frustrating on Saturday, but I'm conflicted between issues such as no striker and just players out of form/complacent & making errors.

One common theme recently in home games is the opponents have played a mid block, either using two forwards or a sole forward supported by the midfield (Gallagher on Saturday). They then play a narrower midfield and our initial build is forced wide. Either to the full back or the far side winger through a switch.

Laporte error was ignoring the easy switch, getting in two minds and half hitting the pass. Dias dived in but has a split second to react. Ederson not great but prob caught out by how badly Zaha struck the shot.

But repeatedly on Saturday the switch pass was awful. Either flighted totally wrong or as Rodri did once, skewed. Those passes have to be driven and easily controlled so that the winger is automatically at the full back.

We actually did a reasonable job of totally pinning Palace and forcing them into hacking the ball anywhere.

But regardless of a striker, if we're playing an opponent with 10 men in their own area, you can't ruin the momentum and allow them a nice 30 second break (aided by Marriner) by cheaply conceding the ball, whacking it out of play and panicking.

Cancelo was the worst culprit for this. 26 minutes he hits a ridiculous shot into the second tier, 30 second break. He then gets the ball from the goal kick and hammers it over the top for another goal kick. Another 30 second break. Effectively gives Palace a two minute break.

However, he then plays a pass that totally opens them up and Grealish should score!

Just felt there were repeated occurrences of being half a yard slow and then rushing.

KDB is completely out of form and had 5 minutes where he loses the ball 4 times. If he doesn't withdraw from the Belgium squad with an 'injury' to take a break (they're virtually qualified and playing Estonia in the first game) then think Pep may be forced into giving him one. We've shown we can handle teams without him as it means we play a simpler game, but he's such a game changer.

We had 5 mins ahead of the card where we did manage the tempo of the match much better and really created a lot of pressure. We don't play for high volume shooting - I always feel we'll look to create a precise chance and this felt like we would.

Red card is arguable but it's a mistake to try and nick the ball as last man. Just another error.

Second half we were playing fine, marginal offside unfortunately. We were totally worn out by the second goal.

It does feel like we need to manage the tempo of these matches far better. If that means working a team for 3-4 minutes then so be it. Our attacking play requires precision, striker or not. We can't be routinely turning the ball over as we have in recent home games and forcing stupid passes.
Perfect analysis

Although I am a Palace fan but out of the big boys City are my favourites real fans who have had many ups and downs over the years . I am interested in why Zaha is hated so much by the oppo fans so much grief on message boards . He is not a diver , maybe goes down a little easy if fouled(Doesn,t Grealish) certainly moans a lot . He is an unusual player quite tricky and powerful on the ball . I expect a lot of incoming hope some of it is objective .
Great post. Been to Selhurst once or twice and must return the compliment - Palace fans create an amazing old school atmosphere. As for Zaha - the abuse is partly because he's such a good player (I don't do abuse of players myself - never have - it's moronic).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.