Current player most like Colin Bell

christen at St Marks said:
oakiecokie said:
christen at St Marks said:
and could tackle like Pab Zab

Rubbish.That was King Colins only weakness to his game.

England V Czecs one of the best sliding tackes I've seen it still stays in my mind

Theres a hell of a difference between a sliding tackle and a full bloodied crunching tackle.By the way the best player I ever saw with sliding tackles was Mike Doyle.The guy had it off to an art.

As a young boy I was fortunate enough to watch the best midfield player if not the best player our club has ever had, Yaya good even great player he is he doesn't really compare he play's in spurts Bell played 90 minutes Yaya made a run on New Years Day then spent 30 seconds getting his breath back in Sunderland's penalty area, not Colin and he was running through mud not a bowling green. Additionally today's side drawn from all corners of the World is somewhat better than than side of the 1970s. I was there the the night of his injury and also his come back game against Newcastle there will never ever by an atmosphere at a game like that again such was the regard that Bell was held by City fans no other player will come close, it was heartbreaking to see him trying to play with one leg and I knew that day we'd lost the best player I'd ever see.
Bell was really the almost complete player good vision, great shot, great header of a football and stamina second to non,the great pity was he was born 40 years to early if we had him in a team with silva, Toure and Aguero Chelsea wouldn't be level with us today.

i kne albert davy said:
As a young boy I was fortunate enough to watch the best midfield player if not the best player our club has ever had, Yaya good even great player he is he doesn't really compare he play's in spurts Bell played 90 minutes Yaya made a run on New Years Day then spent 30 seconds getting his breath back in Sunderland's penalty area, not Colin and he was running through mud not a bowling green. Additionally today's side drawn from all corners of the World is somewhat better than than side of the 1970s. I was there the the night of his injury and also his come back game against Newcastle there will never ever by an atmosphere at a game like that again such was the regard that Bell was held by City fans no other player will come close, it was heartbreaking to see him trying to play with one leg and I knew that day we'd lost the best player I'd ever see.
Bell was really the almost complete player good vision, great shot, great header of a football and stamina second to non,the great pity was he was born 40 years to early if was had him in a team with silva, Toure and Aguero Chelsea wouldn't be level with us today.

Paul Lake in that side and we would be 10 points clear.

When people compare players (or sportsmen/women generally) from different eras there's usually an acceptance that the comparison is distorted by the huge improvement in fitness levels, diet and sports science from which modern athletes benefit. When I watch old footage of Franny Lee I cant help but wonder how much more athletic a 2015 version would have been. He was a terrific player, with great acceleration over 5 yards. But surely would have been even better with modern training methods?

When I look back on footage of Bell, or remember watching him in the flesh, I tend not to make any allowances for the fact that he was the product of a different era. If you tansported in time the pre injury Bell from 1973 to 2015 he would be able to slot seamlessly into the modern City line up without anyone realising that hadnt been brought up in the current era,

It begs the question as to just how good a 2015 Colin Bell would be.

I likened Gerrard to him early in the thread and stand by that.

Blue-tinted specs off, I would put them broadly equal in terms of footballing ability as well as playing style. There are other similarities in that their club careers glittered more than those in an England shirt and (yes, GDM) that they didn't driven their sides to umpteen trophies. But they were both great players: dynamic, strong and influential with a rounded set of skills.

Some would argue that neither was the very best player of their generation. Those who supported either club at these players' peaks might beg to differ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you were lucky enough to be there, and you sampled the emotions of 1968, there's a high chance that Colin will be your all-time favourite.

No stats will prove or disprove it!

sir baconface said:

Blue-tinted specs off, I would put them broadly equal in terms of footballing ability as well as playing style. There are other similarities in that their club careers glittered more than those in an England shirt and (yes, GDM) that they didn't driven their sides to umpteen trophies. But they were both great players: dynamic, strong and influential with a rounded set of skills.

Some would argue that neither was the very best player of their generation. Those who supported either club at these players' peaks might beg to differ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you were lucky enough to be there, and you sampled the emotions of 1968, there's a high chance that Colin will be your all-time favourite.

Interesting comparison. I've seen Colin Bell pre injury and seen Gerrard and would say Colin was better in the air and his goals record for a midfielder is fantastic. He didn't take penalties either. Where I think Gerrard is superior is that he has been able to either win games on his own or drag his team through games whereas Colin was just an all round great player consistently performing 8 out of 10. I do think Colin's cause for wider recognition is not helped because he's not known for the "Bell game" or "Bell goal" as other players are

Googoo said:
sir baconface said:

Interesting comparison. I've seen Colin Bell pre injury and seen Gerrard and would say Colin was better in the air and his goals record for a midfielder is fantastic. He didn't take penalties either. Where I think Gerrard is superior is that he has been able to either win games on his own or drag his team through games whereas Colin was just an all round great player consistently performing 8 out of 10. I do think Colin's cause for wider recognition is not helped because he's not known for the "Bell game" or "Bell goal" as other players are

He was unlucky in that many of his best games weren't televised. I'm told that his performances for City at United in '68 and for England in Brazil (not sure which year) were magnificent, but neither game was on the box.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.