Cycling Advice

Always stay on the road myself, got a mate who thinks I’m crazy but you really are safer as they have to give you room.
My missus thinks the path is safer, and would do her nut if I told her I was using the road, but on recent experience I'm going to be using the road from now on.

I've complained to the council about the path being too narrow and too close to the road, but it fell on deaf ears.

Whats best for cleaning the cassette and chain?

Id seen simple washing up liquid is often preferred as some degreaser clean them TOO well? Also, can i literally scrub the cassette with a small brush/toothbrush?

First spot of rust on the chain, should i replace it?

And am i correct in that i dont need to oil the sprockets? Just the chain?

Always stay on the road myself, got a mate who thinks I’m crazy but you really are safer as they have to give you room.
Safer plus you don't trash your tyres.. Cycle paths are full of debris from the road i.e. small stones and glass thrown off vehicle tyres.. I am using tubular tyres at £70 plus fitting so it's the road for me.... Plenty of hi-vis and LEDs in my overshoes so I am visible and only ride in daylight anyway

Id seen simple washing up liquid is often preferred as some degreaser clean them TOO well? Also, can i literally scrub the cassette with a small brush/toothbrush?

Absolutely not... just re-lube it and it will be fine

I only oil the chain after an occasional clean... I'm using Muc-Off wet lube at the minute but always used Wurth chain wax before that... As long as you are doing it frequently (I check it weekly) then I don't think it matters what you use...

Re cleaning I use a little white spirit on an old cloth... I remove the back wheel and fit a simple dummy sprocket I made out of a socket and nut and bolt that lets the chain run freely with the wheel off.. You can buy them but I used some leftovers :-)

Last edited:
Absolutely not... just re-lube it and it will be fine

I only oil the chain after an occasional clean... I'm using Muc-Off wet lube at the minute but always used Wurth chain wax before that... As long as you are doing it frequently (I check it weekly) then I don't think it matters what you use...
I only really started cycling in the summer...commuting to and from work...but since the winter set in, the weather has been a bit grim and the bike getting very muddy.
Ive been cleaning the bike weekly but feared i was stripping the lube off too much....started to notice a rusty colour on the chain after i washed it on Sunday

For a quick clean flip your bike get a microfibre cloth and just run the chain through it, it will take a fair bit of detritus off, every other week or so depending on weather the video below is all you really need.

There is loads of differing advice on chain cleaning and lubrication. I've just switched over to a wax based product. Basically you need lubrication in the rollers of the chain and try to keep the rest of it fairly dry, otherwise it will attract muck, which can very quickly turn into grinding paste that causes your components to wear out faster.

Muc-off bio degreaser is pretty good for cleaning your drive train (try not to get any into your hub, wheel bearings or bottom bracket for obvious reasons). I just pull the chain through a couple of cheap scrubbing brushes. A good rinse with clean water, let it dry and then re-lube (just a drop of oil each of the link pins in the inside of the chain is all you need). Spin the chain backwards a couple of times and then let is sit for a bit. Then just wipe off any excess.

As for the cassette and chain rings, degreaser and a stiff paintbrush should do the trick. Spray on the brush rather than the cogs, clean, rinse and dry. No need to oil afterwards.

You need to rinse any salt and mud off your bike as soon as possible and dry it before you put it away. Also, consider using a protection spray such as Muc-off MO-94 which drives out water and leaves a film of silicon which makes cleaning much easier. Just not on your braking surfaces :-0

I only really started cycling in the summer...commuting to and from work...but since the winter set in, the weather has been a bit grim and the bike getting very muddy.
Ive been cleaning the bike weekly but feared i was stripping the lube off too much....started to notice a rusty colour on the chain after i washed it on Sunday
Get some wet lube.. then it will better withstand the washing... that’s what it says on the bottle anyway

There is loads of differing advice on chain cleaning and lubrication. I've just switched over to a wax based product. Basically you need lubrication in the rollers of the chain and try to keep the rest of it fairly dry, otherwise it will attract muck, which can very quickly turn into grinding paste that causes your components to wear out faster.

Muc-off bio degreaser is pretty good for cleaning your drive train (try not to get any into your hub, wheel bearings or bottom bracket for obvious reasons). I just pull the chain through a couple of cheap scrubbing brushes. A good rinse with clean water, let it dry and then re-lube (just a drop of oil each of the link pins in the inside of the chain is all you need). Spin the chain backwards a couple of times and then let is sit for a bit. Then just wipe off any excess.

As for the cassette and chain rings, degreaser and a stiff paintbrush should do the trick. Spray on the brush rather than the cogs, clean, rinse and dry. No need to oil afterwards.

You need to rinse any salt and mud off your bike as soon as possible and dry it before you put it away. Also, consider using a protection spray such as Muc-off MO-94 which drives out water and leaves a film of silicon which makes cleaning much easier. Just not on your braking surfaces :-0
Spray on the brush...good tip that!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.