Cycling Advice

Southern

I am thinking of getting on a bike again for the first time in over 24 years (I fell off the last time and haven't wanted to since).
I have realised that running is not great for my knees and I want to keep fit some other way.

I am based in London and can book a free one-to-one and further group sessions with Cycle Confident.

However, I have no idea where to start with buying a bike, just something easy and basic and not too pricey. Storage is a slight issue because although have a garage space is tight. I would be cycling off road in parks and not on mountains .

I am thinking of getting on a bike again for the first time in over 24 years (I fell off the last time and haven't wanted to since).
I have realised that running is not great for my knees and I want to keep fit some other way.

I am based in London and can book a free one-to-one and further group sessions with Cycle Confident.

However, I have no idea where to start with buying a bike, just something easy and basic and not too pricey. Storage is a slight issue because although have a garage space is tight. I would be cycling off road in parks and not on mountains .

Good thread, I'm sure our blue moon brothers and sisters will Raleigh behind you...

On a more serious note OP this is really going to depend on how much you want to spend . I'm no expert and bought mine for a couple of hundred quid from halfords. Similar usage to you I think in that I use it along the canal and local bike paths not roads. Mine is relatively heavy, spending more gives you a much lighter one.

Get a wooden one. I believe a company called Materia make them and they are advertising just above this thread, which is kind of scary.

OP, it's not the bike that matters, anyone can ride one of them, it is the lycra. You need to get a very bright multi coloured all in one outfit that screams 'look at me I'm a selfish obnoxious dick'
That said you would then just blend in with all the others.

There are a couple of things to consider, cost being the main one.

Less than £300, you get what you pay for, so if you're looking to cycle quite often, it's worth buying one for a minimum £350 and you'll get years out of it, instead of having to buy another one 18 months later.

Then you've got type of bike;

Mountain Bike: Benefits are the built in suspension, so good for riders who want a comfy ride, but not exactly meant to ride at high speeds and harder to pedal, even off road, but better at absorbing the bumps than anything else. Good for fitness if that's what you're looking for. Costs are cheaper than the others, you could probably get a decent one for around £150.

Hybrids/Comfort: A mix between the road bike and the Mountain Bike. Slimmer tyres, casual riding position, no suspension springs (some do, but pricey, pricey!) but tend to come supplied with a seat that has them to make the ride a little softer. Easier to ride in parks than a mountain bike, but a bumpier ride. Decent enough as a commuter, meant for road riding/cruising, and not as costly as a road bike,will probably set you back around £3-400.

Road bike: Much slimmer tyres, built for speed not comfort. Useless off road, typically they are racer type bikes, and the riding position is something that's not suited for everyone. (I really don't like them) Good ones are about £500 and i'd steer clear of second hand, personally. But if you're looking to be a cycling enthusiast to do competitive road cycling there's not much better for you.

So it's fitness, comfort or speed. Which are you looking to achieve? How often do you plan to ride it? Will you be doing your own maintenance or getting it serviced every 6 months (usually around £75) If you are, don't use wd-40 on the chain, get proper cycle oil. Some bikes have brake blocks, others have discs, and are naturally slighlty costlier, but then you'll pay more eventually in replacement blocks over time. Oh and the only real legal requirement is to get lights, front and rear. And of course, get a sodding helmet. Ther's no official "law", but it's not worth the risk, trust me on this.

But I do recommend doing it, you will feel healthier, fitter and your body more toned. You might want to invest in a face mask to filter the air if you plan on eventually riding on roads often; i've washed mine and the amount of fine, black silt-like stuff that came out of it horrified me. Evans Cycles are in the shit, so you might get some good deals shopping there. That's all I've got for you. :)

Edit: Oh and you've got electric bikes... minimum of a grand. Fun though.

Last edited:
Bought myself an adventure/gravel bike last year. Its been brilliant its great at both on and off road. Not as fast as a proper road bike but that doesn't bother me as I cycle to enjoy it rather than being a lycra clad speed merchant.

If your budget is tight Decathlon is always a good place plus their bikes always seem to get good reviews.

Having to replace my lads bike as it was nicked last week and found this useful

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217632-10-best-2019-road-bike-bargains-under-ps500

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.