Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Make sure you grease your nipples, I forgot Today and went for a 3 hr ride, i'm regretting it now ;)

I'm lucky that where I live in Urmston it is a 10 minute easy ride to the paths of either the Bridgewater Canal or the River Mersey and as Arfur Daley said ''the world is your lobster'' you can get anywhere, me and a couple of mates went down the Bridgy the other week and with a few diversions onto roads ended up at a great pub called The Ferry right on the banks of the Mersey at Fiddlers Ferry
Keep your bike maintained especially your brakes, if they get spongy change the pads they are not expensive and keep everything well oiled, also carry a bag over your shoulder with basic tools and a spare inner tube or puncture kit, also a bottle of water as with all exercise never do it dehydrated
There's also the Trans Pennine Trail that goes up towards Fiddlers Ferry. It is a much better track than the Bridgewater Canal.

There's a nice cafe at Jodrell Bank that is a favourite with cyclists. They're all from clubs, with full Lycra kit, and rigid shoes that they tiptoe around in.

Yep been up the TPT many times but always come off at Latchford Locks and go down side roads and lanes to Fiddlers Ferry, not my choice it's the lads I go biking with insist on it, they like to stop at a pub in Thelwall Village

South Yaaarkshire police have declared war on cyclists, they have banned all road races and cycling clubs riding in large groups all because a farmer riding a combine harvester complained about them, the ban is currently under review say the police, Sky News

South Yaaarkshire police have declared war on cyclists, they have banned all road races and cycling clubs riding in large groups all because a farmer riding a combine harvester complained about them, the ban is currently under review say the police, Sky News

Loathe as I am to defend the south Yorkshire plod, there's a bit more to it than that.

Cycling road races in South Yorkshire have been suspended over safety concerns and complaints - including the last-minute cancellation of a 105km race scheduled for today.

British Cycling Yorkshire said a "recent incident involving riders and a combine harvester … have not helped."

It said the decision to halt Tumby’s road race near Stainton comes after "further complaints" and issues that "go back years".

"No specific reason has been given but it seems they are saying the course is unsuitable and overused which possibly points to complaints from local residents," said a statement on the Rutland cycling club site.

Are you only interested in MTB routes? There are some great long weekend cycling holidays you could try all on National Cycle Network routes: C2C, Coast and Castles, Way of the Roses to name but three. Check out Sustrans website and also websites relating to each of the above trips. They're great trips to do and you'll feel a sense of pride upon completing them and be hooked!

What are the advantages of tubeless tyres? Seen a bit about them on YouTube, but no too sure about them. Oh, and is it hard work to convert, or best leave it to a bike shop?

Thanks for all the tips. Oh, I've started going through red lights (safely!), so I'm half way there - still not graduated to riding on the pavement yet!

I wouldn't worry about tubeless atvthe moment- we've been using inner tubes for the last 100 or so years since dunlop sorted it out. They're not going away anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry about tubeless atvthe moment- we've been using inner tubes for the last 100 or so years since dunlop sorted it out. They're not going away anytime soon.
Good point. Typical bloke, trying to run before I can crawl.......I'll be getting knee and elbow pads before I know it!

120 psi on a mountain bike are you mad? Even on a road bike it would be on the upper end and potentially become a a bit bone jarring but each to thier own I suppose, the rest I completely agree with, plenty of really good social cycling groups out there on FB land
Didnt know he meant mountain bike,I was referring to a road bike and I keep my tyres to max inflation without issue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.