Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Didnt know he meant mountain bike,I was referring to a road bike and I keep my tyres to max inflation without issue

Sorry bud didn't realise you hadn't seen the Mtb mention

Current thinking is running slightly wider tyres (25mm) at a slightly lower pressure I run Conti 4 seasons and 4000's on my bikes at around a 100 psi no speed drop off and a slightly plusher ride but as I said it really is each to their own but I ride mainly over the border in Saddleworth and some of the road surfaces really are shite and the set up helps.

I'm running Mavic 23's at just over 100 psi and they are harsh on anything but smooth surfaces. That's with a quite compliant Canyon Ultimate frame. I will be switching to 25's once these have worn a little.

28c is where it's at on a road bike. Mine are tubeless at c90 psi.

I tried 28's this year on a Cannondale Synapse I had on hire in Majorca and although they were smooth and grippy I just could get used to seeing a 28 stuck out in front of me it just looked all wrong :)

If you ride up the ashton canal to portland basin and hang a right under the stone footbridge..you'll find yourself on the peak forest canal, this will provide you with a further 12/15 mile run out thru marple locks eventually terminating around whaley bridge. If you're feeling lively you can jump out onto the road (Whaley end) and the appropriately named Long Hill will be infront of you, up there 7 mile and you'll be in buxton, where with a little help from a sane local you should be able to locate the Tissington trail which interlinks enough to provide plent of mileage with breathtakng scenery

Grab yourself a pair of semi slick style of tyres if you're not going fully dedicated Mountain bouncy forky, sometimes life's not just so convienent to provide all off-road on your doorstep but with a little swerve (tyres) you can tie two or three trail types together via a bit of road.

Rochdale canal out of town is rideable thru to rochdale, Tod, Ebden and Sowerby bridge, Hudderfield, dropping down into Marsden, saddleworth, staley rowing boats, portland Basin, etihad.

Chaps,

My GF and i have been talking about getting into cycling for a while now. We're not looking to get to serious into either road or mountains, more likley we will be doing some country route cycling involving some road as well as some tougher terrain - is there a "happy medium" type of bike that works well on both or do i just go for a couple of Mountain bikes because a road bike is (i assume) less than useless off road?

Thanks a massive novice

Chaps,

My GF and i have been talking about getting into cycling for a while now. We're not looking to get to serious into either road or mountains, more likley we will be doing some country route cycling involving some road as well as some tougher terrain - is there a "happy medium" type of bike that works well on both or do i just go for a couple of Mountain bikes because a road bike is (i assume) less than useless off road?

Thanks a massive novice

The happy medium you're looking for is a hybrid bike.

I use a road bike for long rides and a hybrid for getting around locally, say up to 10 mile rides.

Mountain Bikes are pretty useless these days, imo

If you ride up the ashton canal to portland basin and hang a right under the stone footbridge..you'll find yourself on the peak forest canal, this will provide you with a further 12/15 mile run out thru marple locks eventually terminating around whaley bridge. If you're feeling lively you can jump out onto the road (Whaley end) and the appropriately named Long Hill will be infront of you, up there 7 mile and you'll be in buxton, where with a little help from a sane local you should be able to locate the Tissington trail which interlinks enough to provide plent of mileage with breathtakng scenery

Grab yourself a pair of semi slick style of tyres if you're not going fully dedicated Mountain bouncy forky, sometimes life's not just so convienent to provide all off-road on your doorstep but with a little swerve (tyres) you can tie two or three trail types together via a bit of road.

Rochdale canal out of town is rideable thru to rochdale, Tod, Ebden and Sowerby bridge, Hudderfield, dropping down into Marsden, saddleworth, staley rowing boats, portland Basin, etihad.
That Peak Forest canal run is scenic but it's very rutted and muddy, managed ok on my MB but seen others struggle, prefer to carry on thru Portland...you have to come off canal at Asda Ashton...up to Staley and out into the countryside, great run

Make sure ya bike is set up right,i.e nads just touching top frame and when pedaling a slight bend in your knee area when youve reached ya full extension when pedaling and a good saddle(read reviews on saddles,i have a charge spoon and it cost me 17 quid and its the best in the business imho..
Upgrade when necessary..

That Peak Forest canal run is scenic but it's very rutted and muddy, managed ok on my MB but seen others struggle, prefer to carry on thru Portland...you have to come off canal at Asda Ashton...up to Staley and out into the countryside, great run

...up to staley and then onto stannedge tunnel, up the little lane besides the large B&B and on to Marsden..back out of marsden you can drop into greenfield reser (not literally), still lively and you can climb the service road which will take you to Chew reser on top of the mountain. Back down and out towards Ashton, over hartshead pike thru woodhouses...hey presto there's Clayton vale again.

A mtb with a good rigid fork is not 2nd division tackle, the right size tyres with the correct pressure for the ground your planning and a rider can learn to float. The floaters i've seen are never in a rush for it to end and tell you (me) about new undiscovered inclines like they've found a nude bird

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.