Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Bit of advice off you cycling veterans please
I' v had 2 punctures in my rear tyre in the 4 months iv been cycling and i'm sick of changing it..plus the cost of inner tubes...just found out about flatless tyres, Halfords do one called Schwalbe marathon plus at £26, do they work? and are they worth investing in a pair?

Might be irrelevant to your scenario but I ended up with a lot of punctures on my front tyres as the alignment was out and the wheel spokes had taken some impact so needed readjustment with a spoke wrench. Kept ending up with a 'snakebite' puncture around the area of the wheel that had slightly mis-shapen everytime I hit a bump. Never tried those tyres though.

I' v had 2 punctures in my rear tyre in the 4 months iv been cycling and i'm sick of changing it..plus the cost of inner tubes...just found out about flatless tyres, Halfords do one called Schwalbe marathon plus at £26, do they work? and are they worth investing in a pair?
Kevlar tyres.

Might be irrelevant to your scenario but I ended up with a lot of punctures on my front tyres as the alignment was out and the wheel spokes had taken some impact so needed readjustment with a spoke wrench. Kept ending up with a 'snakebite' puncture around the area of the wheel that had slightly mis-shapen everytime I hit a bump. Never tried those tyres though.
These were caused by thorns i pulled them out myself they penetrated right thru the tyre which surprised me, these flatless are supposed to be thorn and tack proof

Live in Scarborough so heading to see the finish on Friday. A project in Scarborough brought a 70ft jersey into all local schools to sign which will be displayed on the cliff side and hopefully on tele! Hopefully get some of our youngsters at our school involved and interested.

Nice - will record and watch the Friday coverage and look out for it.
IIRC isnt there quite a tasty little ramp into/out of Scarborough?

1. Wear a helmet
2. Wear a helmet
3. Wear a helmet
4. Wear a helmet
...........etc.

I have a good friend who is alive today because he wore a helmet. He was knocked off his bike whilst riding down hill at around 25-30mph (from what he can remember) on a main road on his way to work. Some numpty car driver failed to look properly before pulling out of a junction and he T-boned the front wing and ended up in a heap 30ft down the road, splitting his cycle helmet in half and bending his bike in two in the process.

What tyres are you using? Also you should always give them a blast with air when you reach for the bike as under pressure tyres are one of the main causes of punctures especially snake bite ones, I use Continental 4 seasons in the winter and spring and Continental 4000s Summer both 25mm width and I run 95psi front and a little more rear.

The Marathons are a very heavy tyre but have a great rep although not sure about the run flats as I have only ever used the normal ones on a cobbled sportive

Tyre maintenance every 2-3 weeks so check for knicks and if any debris is lodged and flick it out

A track pump for home use is essential, you can pick something reasonable for under 20 note

Recently been told ive got high blood pressure, high cholesterol and so im being put on statins. Its kicked me up the arse so i'll be doing some cycling but to get into it I don't want to be huffing and pufing up and down hill so i'm looking for flat routes initially. The only one i've found near me is only a mile long.
Any suggestions where I might drive to with the bike thats flat and fairly scenic? I live in Bury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.