Cycling to work

leruzin said:
My work is moving to Chadderton in a few months and was looking into driving lessons and getting a car etc but at the moment just cant afford it !! So next option is cycling to work.Its about 6 miles away and was just wondering if anyone could advise a decent road bike/mountain bike ?? Was looking at around the £500 mark ( as work do a ride to work scheme ) but also noticed their are now a few decent electric bikes ( not the pizza delivery ones ). Has anone got an electric bike and how long would it take to do 6 miles roughly for a slightly overweight,middle aged man ? Looked at the public transport option and it would take around 1 1/2 hours so rules that one out !!

Where in Chad your work moving to?
Find out which shops do you ride2work scheme, theres a few different schemes involving different shops, and just have a good look and ask around, if your not happy move along.
As for a bike, find a bike thats comfy, your only gonna be racing the clock machine so comfort first than styling follows.
At £500 you have a very wide choice, do you get accessory vouchers ontop or are accsessories included in your price? (pump, lights, helmet etc)

I've been lazy as fook this year need to get back into it, been so lazy over winter so will eb like a bearout of hibe

I've cycled to work for about 20 years. Must have saved a mint! I ride a Trek hybrid cost about £500 about 10 years ago but all you need is a semi-decent one which you could get for £300. Honestly mate, once you start there'll be no stopping you.You'll feel healthy and fit and the weight will drop off you.

As an incentive why not keep a spreadsheet at work of your times (get a Cateye computer for about £30 on your handlebars) and each week try and beat your best time. You'd also see how many trips you've done and consequently how much you're saving when compared to bus or tram fares etc. The bike will pay for itself after about a year and you'll start to actually ENJOY the commute once your fitness levels improve.

Here's the best bit . . . it's actually quicker than the bus or the car! And it's guaranteed journey times, no more getting stuck in traffic or freezing your tits off waiting for buses then having to stand up all the way or sit next to some complete prick with a fuckin headset on listening to Megadeath.

Cycling is the future!

My husband got a bike last year and now cycles to work - sold our second car, reckon in the loan we were paying off, fuel, tax and insurance its saved us about £3500 in the last 12 months.

Plus husband fit as a fiddle

urmston said:
Any half decent bike will do.

But make sure it has mudguards.

Good call. Mudguards are a must-have. I have a rear pannier in which I carry a spare innertube, allen keys, tyre levers. That's really all you need. But I'd recommend

Helmet, shower-proof jacket, padded mitts (fingerless gloves),winter gloves, compact pump,lights, computer.

Good luck mate, I really hope you join our little club. You won't regret it!

When I worked in the city centre, i used to cycle from Heaton Moor to just off Oxford Road.

Once you get over the fear of driving in rush hour traffic, you soon get used to it. Just be very careful of the other vehicles. If it gets hairy, just pull to the side and wait for it to calm down. For God's sake wear a decent helmet too.

I did feel better for it, but couldn't have done it without a shower at the office where I worked.

It took the same time to cycle in as it did to drive it, it was cheaper and less stressful as I wasn't stuck at lights bored, I was constantly moving. I also felt more alert when I got the office.

If I manage to get another office job in the city centre soon, and they have decent shower facilities, I'll probably cycle in.

By the way, I was only on a £100 Decathlon mountain bike. I figured that I'd only spend what I could afford to get nicked. I'd go for a road bike though, makes a lot of difference.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16966089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16966089</a>

Phils your man for everything bike!! A good read to!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1r4vFZo&doc_id=6565&v=3t4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 6565&v=3t4</a>

The cycle to work scheme got me a bike again - first time for 20 years. Love the thing now and wouldnt be with out it. Took me 2-3 weeks to get use to hilly sheffield, now get up the hills without stopping.
One thing about the cycle to work scheme is that they roll it out throughout the year, So if your not sure about signing up borrow a bike (loads of people have them in cellars / sheds etc doing nothing) or buy a second hand one. Under no circumstances get a motorised bike!!!!

Depends what ur route to work is like, I work shift so cycle 9 miles there at night and back again in the morning.

Bought a proper road bike to start with to start but got constant punctures from glass (route through gypoVille and the pub route home so loads of glass) and along a slightly rural road so got a puncture from a thorn due to high pressure tyres,

Exchanged it for a hybrid bike, front suspension u can turn on and off. Comfortable inroad and offload now.

My advice make sure u get a comfortable seat, road bike seats are designed for quendo's for sure! I'd say get the comfy bike seat plus the comfy gel cover.

I've cycled to work for 12 years now. I have just retired the Kona MTB I've used all that time because all that posh shimano gear takes a pasting even on the road with dirt and wet and it is going to cost £2-300 to put right. I'm going to do that eventually, but in the meantime have just spent £300 on a fixed wheel (single speed) racer. Hard work at first without the 24 gears I'm used to, but a real flying machine and fuck all to go wrong on it.
Essential accessories are lights x4 (one static, one flashing front and back), decent rucksack / racks & panniers. Helmet, decent winter gloves, leggings/shorts, base/mid outer layer(hi-viz). Aldi/Lidl often come up trumps with this kit and it seems to be decent quality. Like anything, you can spend what you like as there is always some twat willing to take your cash if you want to look time a GB trialist on the commute.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.