D-Day is coming up (6. June 1944)

c539cdfc-bd58-4261-a34b-630fcf734408.JPG
We’ve been to Normandy several times and had the privilege of spending a full afternoon with this gentleman and his wife.
His name was Patrick Churchill , unfortunately he’s no longer with us .
This was on the 75th anniversary where he was doing an interview , it was fascinating listening to his story , not just his DDay landing but his whole life.
We hung on to his every word and when he had to leave he thanked us for our company !
We returned to Arromanches last year and throughout Normandy they put pictures of the veterans on practically every lampost , who should be on the lampost outside our house but Patrick , what are the odds of that happening he was definitely letting us know he was there. Met a few of the veterans and they are the most humbling people you can ever meet , everyone a hero.
Google Patrick Churchill the man was immense .

Brilliant stuff mate, these stories are more important year after year IMHO.

It's hugely important that we don't forget. It won't be long before they are all gone but at least we now have a significant archive of their testimonies and it's up to us to make sure that we and future generations continue to engage with what they have to tell us.

I know; I wasn't being 100% serious!

weren't they filmed in RoI? I am sure I read somewhere that most of the extras in the beach landing scenes were the Irish Defence Forces?

I had an uncle who was involved in the film Waterloo as a historical consultant and made most of the uniforms worn by most of the stars who would appear in closeup for historical accuracy - the extras were all in longshot so accuracy was not deemed that important. He made a fortune and for reasons he told me he was not allowed to reveal he was barred from entering Ukraine where it was built.

The programme The Unheard Tapes" is very powerful. I thought I had heard much of the history of that day (and have been to the beaches) but these tell the stories in a different way, using audio tapes of interviews and then lip-synching them with actors.

They talk about climbing over the bodies of those who had gone in first (they anticipated a 30% casualty rate) but one American said he was the only person to survive from his landing craft.

The confusion when they did get over the beach, but didn't know where to go because the officers had died and they found themselves alone in the countryside.

The black soldier whose job was to clear the bodies and take rations to the front line troops - one of whom refused to eat the food he brought. And the German who said how well the black soldiers treated the POW's

The German machine gunner on Omaha beach - terrified at what he was facing - especially when more troops kept coming after they had killed the first wave. A reminder that he was also just a young boy a long way from home.

It is dreadful and appalling. Yet an amazing testimony to what people can do when faced with such situations. I hope hearing such stories causes us to pause and ensure that new generations never need to face war - but history tells us that there are always those who find a way to create new reasons to send young people into battle.

weren't they filmed in RoI? I am sure I read somewhere that most of the extras in the beach landing scenes were the Irish Defence Forces?

I had an uncle who was involved in the film Waterloo as a historical consultant and made most of the uniforms worn by most of the stars who would appear in closeup for historical accuracy - the extras were all in longshot so accuracy was not deemed that important. He made a fortune and for reasons he told me he was not allowed to reveal he was barred from entering Ukraine where it was built.
Yep....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.