Daily Mail, your media etc

The cake stays the same, and the price of the cake goes up 10%. So to have the same piece of the cake you need another 10%.

What the present government and Starmer's Labour say is this: This is a time of sacrifice. All the sacrifice must be borne by working people, especially in the public sector. We ourselves won't be making any sacrifice, and the rich certainly won't be. Suck it up, you plebs.

Now if it was for one year, or two, that might be acceptable, at a pinch. But when it goes on for a decade? How much sacrifice are people expected to make?

If the cure for inflation is to take money out of the economy, the way it should be done is to increase tax. Then everyone pays a fair share, proportionate to their income. The extra money would allow the government to pay down debt. Win, win.

Efficiency savings are all very well. We see supermarkets closing check-outs and substituting self-payment. We see railways closing booking offices. Have you noticed supermarket prices or train fares coming down? I think not!

Meanwhile, over the last several years the very rich - I am not talking about hospital consultants, I mean the very rich - have increased their wealth hugely. Only today I was reading about some bloke who bought two mansions (paying himself millions in dividends) out of selling dodgy protective equipment to the NHS. Where does their extra share of the 'cake' come from? Riddle me that! If you're right and the cake is not growing, these people are stealing huge slices of cake, but no one seems interested in doing anything about that, do they? Somehow that cake develops infinite flexibility. It's a very odd cake.

In the cold hard world we live in , like it or lump it our labour we are prepared to toil is called in economics terms, economic rent.
You get paid for your labour, certainly in the private sector, what someone is prepared to pay for it, if you’re not happy with that, in the private sector you either live with it or move on.
Personally during my career if I thought I was worth more than the Employer was prepared to pay, I moved on.
Amazingly telling an Employer your moving on because you have received a better offer had far better results than a Union Rep fighting my corner.

At a time of 10% inflation a 10% rise is not an uplift in your wages, it merely gives you the same slice of the cake you had the previous year,

A lot of people are 'moving on'. Unfortunately for us, many doctors and nurses (for example) are moving on to Australia or other countries where there is better pay. And there are no (or very few) replacements waiting in the dole queue. So we either raid the Third World for replacements, or we train up many more people and wait 5-10 years for them to come through, at which point they too may see an advert for Australia.

The market works on supply and demand. Refuse to pay enough as an employer and eventually, your workers will walk. This is particularly true of people with rare skills. Short of turning into North Korea, and making emigration illegal, you cannot keep on cutting people's standard of living year on year on year. I cannot help but think that leaving the EU was a step towards the North Korea model, as it makes moving to Germany or France so much harder. But for the very people we need most the option is still there, it's just more bureaucratic and messy.

As a certain female PM once said 'You cannot buck the market. The market will buck you.'

In the cold hard world we live in , like it or lump it our labour we are prepared to toil is called in economics terms, economic rent.
You get paid for your labour, certainly in the private sector, what someone is prepared to pay for it, if you’re not happy with that, in the private sector you either live with it or move on.
Personally during my career if I thought I was worth more than the Employer was prepared to pay, I moved on.
Amazingly telling an Employer your moving on because you have received a better offer had far better results than a Union Rep fighting my corner.

images

At a time of 10% inflation a 10% rise is not an uplift in your wages, it merely gives you the same slice of the cake you had the previous year,

A lot of people are 'moving on'. Unfortunately for us, many doctors and nurses (for example) are moving on to Australia or other countries where there is better pay. And there are no (or very few) replacements waiting in the dole queue. So we either raid the Third World for replacements, or we train up many more people and wait 5-10 years for them to come through, at which point they too may see an advert for Australia.

The market works on supply and demand. Refuse to pay enough as an employer and eventually, your workers will walk. This is particularly true of people with rare skills. Short of turning into North Korea, and making emigration illegal, you cannot keep on cutting people's standard of living year on year on year. I cannot help but think that leaving the EU was a step towards the North Korea model, as it makes moving to Germany or France so much harder. But for the very people we need most the option is still there, it's just more bureaucratic and messy.

As a certain female PM once said 'You cannot buck the market. The market will buck you.'
Fortunately for those who are not being recognised, the pay rise will afford them a visa into a better way of life.

Unfortunate for us, we lose the lifeblood of society.

Fortunately for those who are not being recognised, the pay rise will afford them a visa into a better way of life.

Unfortunate for us, we lose the lifeblood of society.
Yes, it's a brilliant policy, to force out our brightest and best, while retaining millions of unproductive or low-skilled people. How can that possibly harm society or the economy?

It's an economic model based on De Valera's Ireland, with the tedious petty nationalism, but without the agriculture or the Catholicism. Ireland only came good when it grew up and joined the real world,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.