Damocles

7 of these buggers trying to get on the forum for the last 5 mins.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Can't create a new thread (errno 12); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug [1135]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

I think you guys all need to calm down a bit, just because you get error messages doesn't mean it's Damocles's fault and yes he probably is trying to fix them which is why he ain't replyin to any of you.

Just for the record I think you're doin a great job and haven't had any error messages.

kiran111 said:
I think you guys all need to calm down a bit, just because you get error messages doesn't mean it's Damocles's fault and yes he probably is trying to fix them which is why he ain't replyin to any of you.

Just for the record I think you're doin a great job and haven't had any error messages.

+1

I think the OP is being pretty rude, and that goes for all the people who PM or email to complain that the site is too slow for their liking. No one has to pay for the site, and we are doing the best we can to legislate for the huge influx in traffic we're receiving as City's star rises.

A lot of people are quick to bemoan the performance of the site, without really understanding the complexities behind it. Go on, say, Liverpool or United's main sites and they similarly struggle with large numbers of users online at once. It's irrelevant comparing it to the performance of other City sites, as the traffic is completely different. Would help if we didn't have so many duplicate posts, or people desperate to be the first to announce news, but what can you do?

It's not a cry for appreciation or anything, but we're working hard at fixing issues. The simple fact is that this type of forum isn't designed for 1000 people all posting at once. A bit of patience wouldn't go amiss.

Ric said:
I think the OP is being pretty rude, and that goes for all the people who PM or email to complain that the site is too slow for their liking. No one has to pay for the site, and we are doing the best we can to legislate for the huge influx in traffic we're receiving as City's star rises.

A lot of people are quick to bemoan the performance of the site, without really understanding the complexities behind it. Go on, say, Liverpool or United's main sites and they similarly struggle with large numbers of users online at once. It's irrelevant comparing it to the performance of other City sites, as the traffic is completely different. Would help if we didn't have so many duplicate posts, or people desperate to be the first to announce news, but what can you do?

It's not a cry for appreciation or anything, but we're working hard at fixing issues. The simple fact is that this type of forum isn't designed for 1000 people all posting at once. A bit of patience wouldn't go amiss.

Apologies Ric was just a bit miffed while it was happening.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
When will you ever get this right?

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Can't create a new thread (errno 12); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug [1135]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

I wouldn't mind but you always keep talking about how you're aiming to sort it and still, 7 times tonight, even when there was only 300 users on during the game!

As I have mentioned several times, I'm currently away until about the 23rd(ish) as some family have died and I'm having to organise everything. I have been away since about the 7th or 8th, and pop in when I can.

I wasn't online during the server issues last night, as I was over at my nans greeting family who have just flown in. I didn't even get to watch the game and still haven't watched MOTD. I haven't read the main forum yet, but I believe that we were shit.

This is what the site runs like when I am not doing anything. I'd like you to consider that, Mr. Crossan before you start yet another thread complaining about me. The simple fact is, I started last January/February and over that time period, the amount of users posting have just doubled. Our forum software is built to allow about 500 concurrent connections, we have double that and have made many, many tiny fixes to allow us to creak over that limit.
We cannot find the next bottleneck, until we have eliminated the last one. There are not that many forums which have the same number of users posting at the same time as us, and those ones that do, tend to be companies that can afford to hire a programmer to shift through the software and optimise it. This is basically the job that I do, but I also have my own life that I need to attend to that will pay my bills and the like of. Bluemoon is actually my second full time job that I do, for free. I get, receive, and ask for no benefits. I don't even ask for thanks, just a little understanding during a difficult family time would be nice.

For anybody who cares, we are currently under discussion with the developers of the forum software about the problems that Bluemoon is facing. One of the problems that we previously rectified was through search indexing, though it seems we can cut more time out of this by switching our search system and that's something that will be done soon. It is only going to cut hundredths of seconds, but this is the level that we are having to chip away at, at the moment. There is nothing that we can do that will cut a second off of load time anymore.

This isn't a static webpage, and the level that it is currently at, it needs near constant management of memory load. Funnily enough, the developers were amazed that we got to this level without having a cluster group of servers, and think that we are the bees knees. The point is, we are already performing WAY above expectations but I still think we can squeeze more out of it.

We cannot change forum software, as we would lose the database, just in case anybody was wondering. We have to work with what we have.

I still say that we don't need better hardware, we just need to get the configuration of this one correct. Throwing money at this won't make it go away.

When I come back properly, I can have a real dig through all of our logging/monitoring tools to see where something has gone wrong, as we have put certain measures in place that should of helped during high load times. I'm not sure if they did their job or didn't yet.

Anyway, so that's where we are currently at. I appreciate it's a pain in the arse when the forum runs slow and can tell you that nobody gets more miffed about it than I do, but we are a work in progress and ask you to bear with us for a bit longer. I don't mind anyone posting that the forum is slow, I just get a little pissed at the whole idea that it's somehow all my fault, even when I'm not around.

Fair play to Damocles - diagnosing a fixing these kind of problems can be a very frustrating and time consuming process...

If server load is the problem then might I suggest a cloud hosting solution? If you want to chat about it and how if differs from traditional hosting then just PM me.

Unless of course I am try to teach you to suck eggs in which case I apologise :)

TWD-Tony said:
Fair play to Damocles - diagnosing a fixing these kind of problems can be a very frustrating and time consuming process...

If server load is the problem then might I suggest a cloud hosting solution? If you want to chat about it and how if differs from traditional hosting then just PM me.

Unless of course I am try to teach you to suck eggs in which case I apologise :)

It's Ric who makes the hosting decisions, and IIRC we briefly discussed AWS. I'm not sure how the idea of pay-as-you-go hosting will go with Bluemoon, as there isn't really a benchmark as to how much it will cost month to month.

I'll drop a PM anyway, as I'm always looking at learning more about the future, and cloud hosting will eventually take over the web, lock-stock.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.