Danny Baker

It's presumably meant to be a reference to the famous people dressed as chimps thing he has done for years on his programme, but it's unimaginably crass and, at best, incredibly stupid. Given there's been no hint of him having views like that over the years, I rather doubt he intended it racially, but it's hard to credit someone couldn't see the racist connection.

It's presumably meant to be a reference to the famous people dressed as chimps thing he has done for years on his programme, but it's unimaginably crass and, at best, incredibly stupid. Given there's been no hint of him having views like that over the years, I rather doubt he intended it racially, but it's hard to credit someone couldn't see the racist connection.

Very much doubt he intended it as racist but he's been fucking stupid & has to go.

Stupidity, is no defence.

Exactly.Irrespective of his intention,for a supposedly intelligent man,its a fucking awful thing to come out with and a moment of bewildering madness that has cost him his job,reputation and probably his future in broadcasting.

What a fucking idiot.

I suppose the question therefore is, should someone who has made one error* of judgement be fired? I don't particularly like the bloke, but surely a humiliating public apology and fine/donation to charity would do more good. I think this approach shows how we, as humans, can change our thoughts/opinions a lot better.

*Assuming it's his first.

Very much doubt he intended it as racist but he's been fucking stupid & has to go.

Stupidity, is no defence.

Exactly.Irrespective of his intention,for a supposedly intelligent man,its a fucking awful thing to come out with and a moment of bewildering madness that has cost him his job,reputation and probably his future in broadcasting.

What a fucking idiot.

Agree with you both. What I find sad though is that as a result of this incredibly stupid tweet, people are going to label him a hideous racist for years to come, despite there being no indication before now that he remotely is.

Agree with you both. What I find sad though is that as a result of this incredibly stupid tweet, people are going to label him a hideous racist for years to come, despite there being no indication before now that he remotely is.

If you post stuff on social media, without thinking of the consequences, it's your own fault.

I suppose the question therefore is, should someone who has made one error* of judgement be fired? I don't particularly like the bloke, but surely a humiliating public apology and fine/donation to charity would do more good. I think this approach shows how we, as humans, can change our thoughts/opinions a lot better.

*Assuming it's his first.

Yes, that's where I get uneasy - that someone can't make a mistake and ever recover from it. It's an awful tweet, and not even funny in the context he presumably meant it. But there has to be the scope for being given the benefit of the doubt, not necessarily in terms of his job, but in terms of how people think of him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.