David Bernstein CBE

He might not have been a player, but he's still a City great to me.

Cheers db you could have took us so much further as well but thanks for all you did

He was certainly at York away!

He's an incredible man and we owe him so much. Funny story about him is that the 1956 Cup Final was on the Saturday of his Bar Mitzvah but like a true blue, he managed to watch the game.

Another story is that three of us had lunch with him back in 2006 when the club was floundering on and off the pitch under Wardle & Pearce. We wanted to test the water to see if he'd go back on the board if we could secure control of enough of the shares. We were very cautious and told him we just wanted some background information but he knew what we were up to and wanted to see if we were serious. At the end of the lunch he suddenly said "Well, aren't you going to ask me?" "Ask you what David?" "If I'd go back on the board if you can get me there. Well I think you can and I'll do it." We were quite pleased about this of course but we kept it a secret. However a few hours later I got a phone call from a journalist asking me about the meeting. I was a bit naive in the ways of PR and wondered how he'd found out about a private meeting. It only dawned on me afterwards that DB had phoned the journalist up and tipped him off. Once the story ran, I spent the next 3 days fending off the media. I wasn't too pleased at the time but it brought me a lot of contacts.

Prestwich_Blue said:

He's an incredible man and we owe him so much. Funny story about him is that the 1956 Cup Final was on the Saturday of his Bar Mitzvah but like a true blue, he managed to watch the game.

Another story is that three of us had lunch with him back in 2006 when the club was floundering on and off the pitch under Wardle & Pearce. We wanted to test the water to see if he'd go back on the board if we could secure control of enough of the shares. We were very cautious and told him we just wanted some background information but he knew what we were up to and wanted to see if we were serious. At the end of the lunch he suddenly said "Well, aren't you going to ask me?" "Ask you what David?" "If I'd go back on the board if you can get me there. Well I think you can and I'll do it." We were quite pleased about this of course but we kept it a secret. However a few hours later I got a phone call from a journalist asking me about the meeting. I was a bit naive in the ways of PR and wondered how he'd found out about a private meeting. It only dawned on me afterwards that DB had phoned the journalist up and tipped him off. Once the story ran, I spent the next 3 days fending off the media. I wasn't too pleased at the time but it brought me a lot of contacts.

I know you were inside mate, but I didn't know this! Wish I made more of your time at that Bluemoon Christmas party now!

mancmackem said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I know you were inside mate...
Careful....

Agenda!!!!!!!!!!!
If Bernstein was a rag he'd have a Knighthood following an MEN backed campaign!

What I'd like to know is how come the former Sheff Weds chairman Dave Richards became a ''Sir'' for being an absolute twat of a chairman, yet David Bernstein - the complete opposite - is rewarded with a CBE?

Met Bernstein the Monday after the last Maine Road derby at GMEX where he was a guest of the conference taking place organised by the charity I was working with at the time. The CEO made sure that Bernstein was able to spend a few minutes with myself...... as I went overboard on praising his leadership and guidance of MCFC....... top bloke and I love the fact that my poster on the wall (yes at the age of 50 I have posters on the wall) of City lifting the FA Cup in 2011, Bernstein is there in the background applauding......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.